Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-22-2003, 04:16 PM

Default RTAS and REWIRE performance?? free memory needed??

hi - I am experiencing really poor DAE playback engine performance
and it really seems to be hit or miss as to what causes it...

my system has:
abit kd-7 w/ via kt400 chipset
digi001 w/6.1.1
amd 2100 single processor
crucial registered 512mb memory - pc2100 sdram
Reason rewire slave
Cubase synced via Midiyoke port (uses a motu2408 card - but no tracks at all in the project!)

this setup leaves me with roughly 80-130mb of free memory... but, nearly any DAE settings basically render fair to horrible results - if I move the mouse during playback of audio and rtas rewire tracks or mouse over the START menu stops the project and a DAE dialog error window appears.

Things are better when just playing back 3-4 audio tracks or recording 3-4 only.... no rtas/rewire... those seem to really haunt the DAE playback engine...

but generally I cant see how I can change the DAE settings to get a solid system and good track playback and solid rtas instrument support...

so questions:

1. what the hell are the secrets?

2. should I increase memory to 1 gigabyte? will more memory help what seems like strictly a DAE processor issue?

3. should I go back to my asus dual proc board or get another proven recommended board? which chipset is best...?

My other PT/CUBASE experiements which had all my rewire channels coming into Cubase - seemed to take any load off of Protools and I never noticed a problem with PT... but it just seems like I can't get my system to perform at this level let alone playing 20 audio channels and 10 rtas tracks...

thanks for reading and any help,

David
Old 09-22-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Re: RTAS and REWIRE performance?? free memory needed??

You're using Cubase at the same time as PTLE? I'd try the same test without Cubase and Midiyoke.

I doubt adding memory will help, you can verify that by completely disabling virtual memory. If the same setup doesn't yield 'out of memory' errors, then amount of memory isn't lmiting you.

I expect you're being limited by the CPU speed and memory speed. Dual CPU's haven't proven to be any advantage for PTLE. Your simplest, cheapest, best upgrade hardware upgrade would be an Athlon XP 2500+ and 512M of PC2700 RAM, total outlay about $175.

Quote:
hi - I am experiencing really poor DAE playback engine performance
and it really seems to be hit or miss as to what causes it...

my system has:
abit kd-7 w/ via kt400 chipset
digi001 w/6.1.1
amd 2100 single processor
crucial registered 512mb memory - pc2100 sdram
Reason rewire slave
Cubase synced via Midiyoke port (uses a motu2408 card - but no tracks at all in the project!)

this setup leaves me with roughly 80-130mb of free memory... but, nearly any DAE settings basically render fair to horrible results - if I move the mouse during playback of audio and rtas rewire tracks or mouse over the START menu stops the project and a DAE dialog error window appears.

Things are better when just playing back 3-4 audio tracks or recording 3-4 only.... no rtas/rewire... those seem to really haunt the DAE playback engine...

but generally I cant see how I can change the DAE settings to get a solid system and good track playback and solid rtas instrument support...

so questions:

1. what the hell are the secrets?

2. should I increase memory to 1 gigabyte? will more memory help what seems like strictly a DAE processor issue?

3. should I go back to my asus dual proc board or get another proven recommended board? which chipset is best...?

My other PT/CUBASE experiements which had all my rewire channels coming into Cubase - seemed to take any load off of Protools and I never noticed a problem with PT... but it just seems like I can't get my system to perform at this level let alone playing 20 audio channels and 10 rtas tracks...

thanks for reading and any help,

David

Old 09-23-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: RTAS and REWIRE performance?? free memory need

I get the same results with the playback engine with or without cubase sync'ed up - though, initially I to thought that midiyoke,cubase etc. might be hampering things...

I think I need to try things like disable my nic and get the system as lean as possible... I hadn't explored those areas yet... then I will look at least changing up to PC2700 RAM...

Regarding dual proc's - I wonder if when running multiple apps dual procs would help relieve the burden on the digi001 - it might not improve its performance directly but indirectly it might help all sync'ed apps (reason via rewire, cubase via mtc)...

People's performance with the digi001 and say the DAVEC test - are they able to move their mouse around and open the START menu or do other os movements and functions without PTLE giving a DAE error? My system is sometimes fine until I move the mouse around or navigate over to Reason or minimize PTLE - then I get a DAE error... but, its pretty much based on the DAE settings and the number of RTAS to audio tracks I have going it seems...

thanks

David