Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Avid

Default Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblasters View Post
Not true.

I have done a clean install of PT8 on new HD never installed any other plug other than what comes with PT8 and RTAS is having problems I did all recommended adjustments and there still problems
No, it is true - it may not be the case for you, but it has been the case on many, many other systems.

So please, if you don't mind, let me continue with the line of questioning and if you require further assistance please answer the questions I've asked of you.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Exclamation Re: RTAS or memory problems?

I have answered every question and still no response from Digidesign and I'm not the only one with this problem
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 AM

Smile Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Hi all,

I have a new machine. I've done all the optimising as recommended.
I have a few TDM plugs on, then I add Amplitube 2 (latest version). I get the stutter, repeat and stop as reported by others. I reduced from 8 to 7 processors and managed to run the session for a bit longer. In terms of length - the first time (8 processors), I hit 'play' and got the problem. On 7 proc... I played for a good 30 seconds.

I'm not overly hacked off, as I expect some teething troubles. If I get this kind of problem, I generally put a plug-in on a track and then, when I'm happy with it, I record it to another track as an audio file. Luddite, but it works as a get-by. Here's my general question: is reducing to 7 sufficient? i.e. - will reducing to 6 be better? 5? 4? You get the idea: is there a general optimum? I have 6GB RAM, but have more ordered that will take it to 22GB. Will that make a difference? (I'm never sure about the RAM and/or CPU difference in terms of what the machine eats).

I'm just looking for a wee bit of advice, and I certainly won't be shouting back "You said this would help and it didn't!" or similar. If there are recommendation - I'll give them a try and post my findings, as quite often, when I'm searching posts, that just the sort of info that can really help. I've never found a load of posts complaining about how much cash has been spent to be actually helpful!

Anyhoo - If Mr. Digi is reading this - please let me know your thoughts. I'll try them out next week (on location in about two hours for the rest of the week).

Ta much.

Specs: dual quad 2.8GHz MacPro. Separate partition for audio samples. Separate internal drive for PT sessions. 6GB RAM. The machine is not used for anything other than audio. OSX 10.5.5, PT8.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Avid

Quote:
I have answered every question and still no response from Digidesign and I'm not the only one with this problem
You did not answer any of these, from my previous post:

Ok, I'm going to need you to post your installed plug-in version list and let me know the following:

1. Which drive you're recording/playing back from
2. If you have video in your session
3. If you have any other peripherals connected to your computer and, if so, what are they.
4. Have you tried reducing the number of processors by 1 and, if so, did anything change.
5. You said earlier that you had a session that was working - what's different in that one vs. ones that aren't working?
6. Did you do a clean install of Leopard or did you upgrade from Tiger?
7. Did you do a clean install of Pro Tools 8 or did you have a previous version installed and just upgrade it?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugi View Post
Hi all,

I have a new machine. I've done all the optimising as recommended.
I have a few TDM plugs on, then I add Amplitube 2 (latest version). I get the stutter, repeat and stop as reported by others. I reduced from 8 to 7 processors and managed to run the session for a bit longer. In terms of length - the first time (8 processors), I hit 'play' and got the problem. On 7 proc... I played for a good 30 seconds.

I'm not overly hacked off, as I expect some teething troubles. If I get this kind of problem, I generally put a plug-in on a track and then, when I'm happy with it, I record it to another track as an audio file. Luddite, but it works as a get-by. Here's my general question: is reducing to 7 sufficient? i.e. - will reducing to 6 be better? 5? 4? You get the idea: is there a general optimum? I have 6GB RAM, but have more ordered that will take it to 22GB. Will that make a difference? (I'm never sure about the RAM and/or CPU difference in terms of what the machine eats).
If you go to 7 processors, you should set your CPU Usage at 80-85%. Is this where you have it now?

Typically going down to 7 should work fine, however it really depends on how many plug-ins you have in the session that aren't fully RTAS optimized. The more of those you have, the more you'll need to lower the number of processors. Keep in mind - by lowering the number of processors you're not really 'losing' anything. Processors dedicated to RTAS can only run real-time optimized plug-ins. If you have plug-ins like Amplitube in your session, you need to give them processor time separate from RTAS processes - so those processors still get used, just for different things.

I doubt you should need more than 6GB RAM.

Also, keep in mind that we have seen issues on systems that were upgraded from Tiger, rather than having a clean install of Leopard. If you install Pro Tools 8 over a previous version that can cause problems as well - doing a clean install of both versions and then reinstall just Pro Tools 8 will likely clear things up.

It is imperative that you only have compatible plug-ins installed. Having any incompatible ones installed, even if they're not used in the session, can cause all kinds of issues.

Pro Tools Plug-In Compatibility Grid
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Angry Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Below is all my post on this issue if you can't comprehend what I'm running is there someone that can read This is basic functions, basic setup with 4 tracks, ONE TRACK WITH RTAS ORGAN repeats, repeats.... I'm using LOGIC PRO with APOGEE more and more everyday!!!

1. Which drive you're recording/playing back from READ BELOW
2. If you have video in your session NO
3. If you have any other peripherals connected to your computer and, if so, what are they. NO
4. Have you tried reducing the number of processors by 1 and, if so, did anything change. NO
5. You said earlier that you had a session that was working - what's different in that one vs. ones that aren't working? I LOADED A SMALL SESSION WITH 4 TRACKS TRIED RUN ONE TRACK WITH RTAS ORGAN AND THERE"S A PROBLEM
6. Did you do a clean install of Leopard or did you upgrade from Tiger?READ BELOW FROM MANY PRE POST
7. Did you do a clean install of Pro Tools 8 or did you have a previous version installed and just upgrade it? READ BELOW COMPREHEND!!!

Quote:
Just installed PT8 on new HD and I'm going through all functions loaded a small session which seems to work ok, but when I use the RTAS instruments I'm running into problems Repeating, notes holding, clicking noise... having experienced a crash yet but would liek to know if this a PT8 problem ? G5 dual 2.0/4gigs of ram
Quote:
I'm using a G5 dual 2.0 4G of ram, 10.5.5, SCSI Atto UL3d, 4 HD 73G, New system hard drive, I have not loaded any plug-ins just the ones which install with PT8. I opened an old session which seems to work w/o any problems but I haven't had time to explore and test out everything other than this problem. When I have the session up I add an instrument track to test say "organ" I push the keys and eventually is starts to go into a locked loop for a minute then it releases. It doesn't crash or it hasn't crashed yet... Also, when it releases then I start getting clicks when tracks are in play mode? All setting are presently in default mode since I just installed and started to go through different scenarios .
Quote:
Same set-up with fresh hard drive but I didn't load any of my plugs except ones that are included in PT8 upgrad
Quote:
dual-core' G5 PCI model
Quote:
TTO ExpressPCI UL3D yes
Sync Rate: 160 DT yes
PCI Burst Rate: 128 yes
Fallback Sync rate: 20/10
Quote:
yes it's a 33Mhz which has been in the computer since 6.xx works great zero problems.....didn't have a chance to change setting because I have other computers running different software with present project that needs to be finished.
I have a feeling this isn't going to solve the problem but I will still change the setting. It seems there are many people having this problem who are using older G5 computer.
Quote:
have done a clean install of PT8 on new HD never installed any other plug other than what comes with PT8 and RTAS is having problems I did all recommended adjustments and there still problems
Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 AM

Question Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Why didn't Digi say older G5 dual 2.0 are not valid using PT8 ?????????
Old 02-11-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Why didn't Digi say older G5 dual 2.0 are not valid using PT8 ?????????
They are valid! but PT8 was developed for 2009 and G5's were developed for software coded in 2003. now the only real problem with using older computers is the amount of native CPU ability and as we all know, each software upgrade including PT will require more CPU to be able to run all the new features. PT6 ran great on G5's as they were made at the same time.

I have a G5 2gig dual and i'm not getting the real big problem you have with running just 4 tracks and one instance of the DB-33 organ. it has to be something specific to your setup! as i can get literally dozens of DB-33 in a session on a G5.

The VI problem really is down to each specific plugin Vendor and whether they have or can, code their RTAS plugins to make use of multi processor CPU's. many of these Vendors just aren't prepared to go back and re-code their plugs. they just want to rush the next product to the market to get $$$ coming in.

So unless Digi are holding something back from the third party vendors, and i really doubt that would or could happen!! then Digi-Air have proved it is possible to get very efficient VI's working as RTAS.

Saying all that! we all know that RTAS isn't perfect or as good as it could be. we are all still boggled why we could get 40-50 EXS24 samplers in a Logic session on a G4

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Avid

Quote:
Below is all my post on this issue if you can't comprehend what I'm running is there someone that can read This is basic functions, basic setup with 4 tracks, ONE TRACK WITH RTAS ORGAN repeats, repeats.... I'm using LOGIC PRO with APOGEE more and more everyday!!!

3. If you have any other peripherals connected to your computer and, if so, what are they. NO
4. Have you tried reducing the number of processors by 1 and, if so, did anything change. NO
5. You said earlier that you had a session that was working - what's different in that one vs. ones that aren't working? I LOADED A SMALL SESSION WITH 4 TRACKS TRIED RUN ONE TRACK WITH RTAS ORGAN AND THERE"S A PROBLEM
6. Did you do a clean install of Leopard or did you upgrade from Tiger?READ BELOW FROM MANY PRE POST
7. Did you do a clean install of Pro Tools 8 or did you have a previous version installed and just upgrade it? READ BELOW COMPREHEND!!!

You missed this one:

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to need you to post your installed plug-in version list
And, for what it's worth, I do read and comprehend. You never stated specifically which hard drives you're using. Just because you have an Atto card doesn't mean you're using SCSI drives and installing a 'fresh drive' doesn't mean you also installed a clean Leopard OS. What I'm asking are very specific questions for a reason - to be absolutely sure what you're doing and how you're using your system.

You also say:
Quote:
Does that mean you have not tried it or that you did try it and there was no change?

Lastly, can I ask why you feel it necessary to insult me, even though I'm just asking questions meant to clarify exactly what you're doing?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Whoa 'theblasters' -- no need to blast DigiTechSupport - calm down... [sorry for the bad pun]

He/she is only requesting follow-up to your answers.
Do you think you are being more productive by acting rude?

Quote:

peace man
www.zeropointrecording.com