Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 AM

Default Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Ok, i installed all plugin updates i overlooked.
I'll report at the end of the day how may errors i get.
Thumbs up for you diving into this thing Digi!!!

You had some questions:
I installed Leopard over Tiger. And i'm comparing PT7.4 under Tiger against PT8 under Leopard.
I'm not using 400 and 800 disks on the same bus. I only use a Canopus ADVC100 videoconvertor on it's own 400 bus. All my disks, which are all 800's, are on the 800 busses.
On the Soundcode issue: I was referring to Neyrinck aswell. On your site you call it version 8.0, Neyrinck calles their latest version 1.0.3 as can be seen on their downloadpage http://www.neyrinck.com/Pages/download.php .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Studio Studio - you've got a couple things going on that could be contributing to the problem.

First, this:

I know this may have worked previously, but I would not recommend this configuration - mixing FW800 devices on the same bus as a FW400 video device is a recipe for problems. The FW400 and 800 ports share the same bus, so you have a potential for clocking issues, sync issues, data throughput, etc. Plus you gain nothing with the FW800 drives if they share the same bus, as they can only get FW400 bus speeds.

You also have several plug-ins that are questionable:

Acoustic Feedback Deluxe.dpm 1.0.3
Brickwall Limiter.dpm 1.2.01 (I believe the latest version is 1.2.2)

iZRXDeclickerPTHook.dpm 1.0.6
iZRXDeclipperPTHook.dpm 1.0.6
iZRXDenoiserPTHook.dpm 1.0.6
iZRXHumRemovalPTHook.dpm 1.0.6
iZRXSpectralRepairPTHook.dpm 1.0.6 (I believe the latest versions are 1.1.4)

MD3.dpm 1.2.02 (The latest version should be 1.2.2)

Are you looking on the Dolby site or Neyrinck (it's the Neyrinck one we're referring to).

Have you tried removing Speakerphone, trashing prefs and testing again? Or testing with just the stock DigiRack and AIR plug-ins?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Studio View Post
Ok, i installed all plugin updates i overlooked.
After 7 dayz that should have been the first thing you did!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarling View Post
Studio Studio,

Right there with you. 2 Second loop, repeated 3 times, then a RTAS warning.

same here + "not enough ram" warning sometimes. never had this under 7.4.
i found out, it works better with 4 cores than 8 cores. possible?

Mac Pro Quad Core 3GHZ
OS 10.5.5.
5GB Ram
4 x 750GB HDs
Pro Tools HD3 Accel Version 8cs1
192 I/O
C24
2 apple cinema displays 23

USB: 2 iloks & 1 syncrosoft dongle
NO external HDs
Ethernet: C24

Leopard fresh install (new HD)
fresh PT 8
fresh install of all plugins (updated) i checked today again with the digidesign leopard list!

i can send the plugin list, if needed, but is there possibility to get the list out of my mac, without writing down everything?
i will also save the crash report next time.
how can i do this, without posting pages here?

this is the same mac i use before under PT7.4

edit: from the other thread:
i still have the structure crashes when i edit something in tructure. i get a 2sec loop and than freeze. sometimes even "force quit" don´t work anymore.
in 7.4. also structure crashes PT while editing, but without loop/freeze. like "bang" and there is the desktop. no crash report, nothing.

another one:
C24: this was also in 7.4. and is still there. from time to time when i press the insert knob on the C24, the C24 freeze.

p.s. my english is not that good
Old 01-27-2009, 12:40 AM

I've been getting less errors and have the feeling it's speakerphone that causes the problem in my setup. The latest version of speakerphone comes with an older pacedriver than the current latest driver i have installed.
Maybe that messes things up?
In a fresh session with only one track with Speakerphone on it, i can't select/deselect the different components like eq, tuning etc.

Dusty Angel: Select all the plugins in the finder, press apple-c, paste it in any texteditor. You do have to add you versionnumber by hand though.

Chris: get a life
Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Studio View Post
I've been getting less errors and have the feeling it's speakerphone that causes the problem in my setup. The latest version of speakerphone comes with an older pacedriver than the current latest driver i have installed.
Maybe that messes things up?
In a fresh session with only one track with Speakerphone on it, i can't select/deselect the different components like eq, tuning etc.

Chris: get a life
I'll get a life if you promise to read the stickies in future

"Pro tools 8 upgrade information - READ THIS FIRST!"

It is critical that you have the minimum required version for any plug-ins installed. Information on minimum versions can be found here:...

Right, off to get a life

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Not necessarily that strange. There could be a couple things going on here - it's possible that other plug-ins you have installed are having an effect on the session even if they're not being used in the session. This is because a lot of plug-in data is cached when Pro Tools launches and that cached data can affect session performance.

The other thing could be that certain plug-ins may not be fully RTAS optimized - most that don't just have GUI elements that aren't optimized, which is why you may see the behavior you're seeing with Izotope - the GUI elements are loaded with the first plug-in and thus don't need to be loaded again for the second or third instance. That code isn't interrupting the actual real-time thread being processed on the RTAS dedicated processor(s).

I'm speculating about that, but I think I've got enough of a grasp of how this non-optimized code causes errors.
Thanks for the answer but I think I was not clear:

New session, 1 track, as soon as I put Ozone (1 instance) on it I can not even hit play! BUT, with 2 tracks and two Ozones (one on each track) everything works ok. PLUS, 16 tracks, with 16 ozones (one on each) and everything works too.

Now that is strange!!! How can my computer play with 16 ozones and get erros with just one? It happens with some others plugins also. I'll do more tests as soon as I have time and I'll let you know.

Is this happening to someone else?

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Or is this because I have 32bit 13 slot Digi oldschool chassis?
With a G5 and Pro Tools 8 in Leopard? If so then, yes, I would STRONGLY suspect that chassis. Have you tried it without the chassis? We haven't tested or qualified any 13 slot chassis with PT8 so it's a likely suspect, given the work we had to do to qualify the current list of chassis.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Avid

Quote:
I'm not using 400 and 800 disks on the same bus. I only use a Canopus ADVC100 videoconvertor on it's own 400 bus. All my disks, which are all 800's, are on the 800 busses.
If you have the Canopus and the drives both connected to the built-in ports on the computer, then they're on the same bus. Unfortunately those ports are not separate channels - the internal bus control both FW400 and FW800 ports.

If you have a secondary internal drive, I would test without the FW800 drives attached and see what happens. Keep in mind that you should also have audio and video on different drives and that those drives must be of the same type (firewire, SATA, etc).
Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Avid

Quote:
i found out, it works better with 4 cores than 8 cores. possible?
Yes! As I'm trying to point out - there are significant differences between Tiger and Leopard, and you cannot necessarily compare behavior between the two directly. Reducing the number of processors is normal (for now) if you have plug-ins installed that are not fully optimized. The overall performance loss should not be huge by any means and, sometimes, may even improve. You're still using the other processors - they're just running code that can't be done on a processor dedicated to RTAS.

Quote:
i can send the plugin list, if needed, but is there possibility to get the list out of my mac, without writing down everything?
i will also save the crash report next time.
how can i do this, without posting pages here?
The Tech Support Utility referenced in the General Troubleshooting thread is what you need. When copying and pasting your crash report, put it between [CODE] tags, with the end tag having a slash '/' in front of the 'C' in CODE (I can't put the tags in because they will do what they're supposed to and enclose whatever is between them in it's own scrollable box).

You may have to run the Plug-in version generator twice to get it to include the version numbers. It's a bug that we're looking into and, hopefully, will have fixed shortly.