Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-02-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Kontakt RTAS PC Digi002 Physical Memory Low ,-9128

I use Kontakt as an RTAS plugin in Protools 6.1.1 on a PC with a Digi002. When loading a new sample I get the error message "Physical Memory Low! Loading more samples might cause problems. Really proceed loading?" If I "really" proceed, my system will take forever to process any request, then hang. This happens always with large samples (acoustic grand), but more often than not with smaller files, as well. The problem is usually cleared up temporarily when I am forced to reboot and re-open Protools. I also now get "raise your CPU usage limit" errors, which I never get when not using Kontakt as a plug-in. My system typically gets no memory or CPU perrors, even with a reasonably healthy number of Waves (3.5) plug-ins in use.
Any help would be most appreciated.

My system:
P4 2.4G (i845 ABIT BD7II)
1GB DDR RAM
C: 60GB IDE HD for programs
D: 160GB IDE HD for samples, audio only
Digi002 w/up to date firmware
PT LE 6.1.1
Waves 3.5 Gold
paging file on D: drive set to 1024 min 1024 max (saw this in another post)
Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Kontakt RTAS PC Digi002 Physical Memory Low ,-9128

Download 1.5.2 and DFD 1.5.2. Make sure DFD is enabled for the piano. What size is the piano sample, With 1 gig some really big samples will cause this problem. Is the piano originally in Giga format, I have problems with Giga conversions. Tweak DFD.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 04-02-2004, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Download 1.5.2 and DFD 1.5.2. Make sure DFD is enabled for the piano. What size is the piano sample, With 1 gig some really big samples will cause this problem. Is the piano originally in Giga format, I have problems with Giga conversions. Tweak DFD.
Sorry - very new to Kontakt. What is DFD? The piano sample is a multi, which came with Kontakt. It's called acoustic grand, and it is a file type .nki, which I believe is a combination of many .wav samples, all used as one.
Thanks for your input. I am downloading 1.5.2 now.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:35 PM

Use Windows TaskManager to examine how much memory is really in use (total), and how much is used by ProTools before and after loading samples. With 1G of memory, you can load quite a lot, but you don't want to exceed the amount of physical memory. If you do, and paging starts happening in any significant way, your performance will definitely suffer. So, if you NEED to load a bunch of huge samples, get more RAM. The things to watch in TaskManager are Performance|PhysicalMemory|Available, and Processes|Mem Usage.

Also, verify that unloading samples (in Kontakt) properly returns memory to the OS.

Old 04-03-2004, 05:05 AM

DFD is the Direct From Disk extension that lets Kontakt stream samples from the hard drive and reduce RAM requirements which is the problem in your case. ( Like Gigasampler) Read the Kontakt docs on proper settings for DFD and you will be fine. The Kontakt piano works fine in my situation - but it is the only Kontakt instance I have. Even with 1 gig, if I have 2 piano sized instruments, I hit the wall.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 04-04-2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
DFD is the Direct From Disk extension that lets Kontakt stream samples from the hard drive and reduce RAM requirements which is the problem in your case. ( Like Gigasampler) Read the Kontakt docs on proper settings for DFD and you will be fine. The Kontakt piano works fine in my situation - but it is the only Kontakt instance I have. Even with 1 gig, if I have 2 piano sized instruments, I hit the wall.
Thanks for the help!
I have downloaded the updates, including DFD. Interestingly, there is no documentation on this topic anywhere. My manual doesn't mention it once. Another topic it doesn't mention is the "bounce" function which I saw mentioned in another post. Any idea what "bounce" does?

My memory problems seem to be a little better, though I haven't really pushed limit. Ideally, I would like to be able to have several Kontakt instances in one session.

The problem of CPU power remains. Once again, this is only where I am using Kontakt in the session, regardless of the sample I am using. Is it possible that there is a bug similar to the D-verb one discovered last year? With a Kontakt plug-in in the session, the CPU usage hovers over 90% and errors out (-9128) pretty readily.

Thanks again for your input.