Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-23-2015, 10:26 AM

Default Re: PT12 has less Instrument Tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjk View Post
The way that I've seen a lot of people use PT is to add 1 instrument track, to host say Kontakt, and then they'll add a further 15 MIDI tracks and 15 Aux tracks.
Ok, I see. You're talking about 16 instances of Kontakt each hosting a single instrument, on 16 instrument tracks.

I believe there may be some miscommunication. Many people here are likely thinking of a different situation - one multi-timbral VI (kontakt with 16 instruments loaded) on a single instrument track, fed by multiple MIDI tracks.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I believe there may be some miscommunication. Many people here are likely thinking of a different situation - one multi-timbral VI on an instrument track, fed by multiple MIDI tracks.
My bad, I misread initially...
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
My bad, I misread initially...
The thing is, that's not multi-timbral. That's unitimbral. Multi-timbral implies that there are multiple instruments loaded in Kontakt - which does require a separate MIDI track for control of each channel.

So we have two situations - 16 unitimbral instances verses 1 multi-timbral instance. The former requires more processing power and instrument tracks, the latter requires separate MIDI and AUX tracks but only one instrument track. Whichever works better for you is fine, just as long as we're all on the same page about this situation
Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
The thing is, that's not multi-timbral. That's unitimbral. Multi-timbral implies that there are multiple instruments loaded in Kontakt - which does require a separate MIDI track for control each channel.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can do that with instrument tracks, can't you? On each instrument track you can give it an input from a plugin, and assign a MIDI channel to it. So Inst1 will have kontakt loaded, that all works fine. Inst2 you assign it's input to Inst1's kontakt plugin, and then change the midi channel to 2 (or whatever, just different to Inst1).
Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but you can do that with instrument tracks, can't you? On each instrument track you can give it an input from a plugin, and assign a MIDI channel to it. So Inst1 will have kontakt loaded, that all works fine. Inst2 you assign it's input to Inst1's kontakt plugin, and then change the midi channel to 2 (or whatever, just different to Inst1).
If I'm reading this correctly then sure, but then the instrument track is operating as if it was just a MIDI track. In the situation you described, there's no audio on that instrument track.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Sure, but then the instrument track is operating as if it was just a MIDI track. In the situation you described, there's no audio on that instrument track.
This is my setup with VEP.
In the first image you can see the input that I've selected, to use the plug from Inst1, and then the second image i've selected the output. All audio goes through each track (1-16) so I can mix them separately within the PT mixer.

(The bus is just something I do to group all my tracks, for example 1-16 might all be strings, so i have them going to a strings bus)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 18.39.31.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 18.39.42.jpg (56.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Drew - while you're looking into this take a look at the PT HD track amounts - those don't look right either.
Done. Hopefully Bruce will post here once clarified.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
This is my setup with VEP.
In the first image you can see the input that I've selected, to use the plug from Inst1, and then the second image i've selected the output. All audio goes through each track (1-16) so I can mix them separately within the PT mixer
Ok I wasn't familiar with VEP, I see what you mean now and I agree that your workflow does require the higher instrument track count.

I have the same workflow when using ReWire applications, I think I just got lost on my way through this thread.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Has anybody ever been able to get 64 VI's going at once in any version of PT much less 128? I would have to see it in person to believe it.....
Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Has anybody ever been able to get 64 VI's going at once in any version of PT much less 128? I would have to see it in person to believe it.....
I can load 64 instances of kontakt with alecias keys (not sure why but this one is very CPU efficient) and arm ALL OF THEM and play. Actually no other DAW I have tried can distribute that load across all cores as well as PT11 for the same buffer setting. Logic chokes out after only a handful of tracks. Running an 5960x @ 4.4 hack here.

The actual engine of PT11 is great for VI's except that VI's never got the dual buffer. Really hoping they do that in 12, I guess freeze will suffice if not though.

Anyway hopefully this is a typo...