Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 PM

Default HD Process to Accel Exchange vs. Mix to Accel Exch

I realize this may be getting old as I remember watching/reading these events unfold in this very forum. I didn't make the jump to Accel from my current HD3 system(I was an early adopter of HD from my previous Mix3 system)the first time around in part because my Control 24 had some issues which unfortunately put the board out of commission for a while-during the first exchange period. Throughout all of this, Digi Tech Support was just amazing(Thanks again Mark and Vicki!!!).

I was surprised as I'm sure most of you were to see it's return. I'm also very surprised(understatement...) to see the current exchange program for Mix users wishing to go to Accel. When I compare the Mix3 to HD Accel3 price to that of trading in 2 Process cards for 2 HD Accel cards I find that the difference is around $1,500.00. I would assume the "value" of the HD Process cards are worth more than the value of the Mix Process cards(no offense to you Mix owners....). And I realize the HD Process to HD Accel exchange does give you the Impact plug-in.

So, does that mean the HD Core card's value is only around $1,500.00?? It's seems(almost..) that the Mix to Accel Exchange is a much better deal than the HD Process to Accel Exchange is. Plus I believe the Mix trade-up also includes free plug-ins. Wow!
I'm beside myself. I realize the Exchange program offered by Digidesign is a great thing for it's users who wish to upgrade to the lastest technology offerings(myself included) and I realize some see it as a way of protecting your/our investment. I'm just having a hard time understanding how my HD3 system has depreciated below that of a Mix3 system. Unreal......
Old 05-19-2004, 06:44 PM

Default Re: HD Process to Accel Exchange vs. Mix to Accel

The depreciation is supply/demand. Digi no longer supplies Process cards, and no one wants them (especially for ADC, since with a Process card you can kiss half of your voices goodbye). Digi no longer supplies MIX hardware, but people who already have MIX know that the only way to expand is a MIX Farm, so they are in demand.

I think one of the reasons the upgrade offer for MIX users is so good is because Digi had to eat their words, swallow their pride, and admit that they lied when they said MIX would work with the G5. Also, there are some individuals, to whom I will refer to as them, that don't know how to say no to krack. By including free plugins, people who don't know how to say no to krack can get their fix legitly (if their addiction happens to be available as a free plugin in the exchange bundle they are interested in).
Old 05-20-2004, 01:54 PM

Quote:
<snip...> When I compare the Mix3 to HD Accel3 price to that of trading in 2 Process cards for 2 HD Accel cards I find that the difference is around $1,500.00. I would assume the "value" of the HD Process cards are worth more than the value of the Mix Process cards(no offense to you Mix owners....). And I realize the HD Process to HD Accel exchange does give you the Impact plug-in.

So, does that mean the HD Core card's value is only around $1,500.00?? It's seems(almost..) that the Mix to Accel Exchange is a much better deal than the HD Process to Accel Exchange is. Plus I believe the Mix trade-up also includes free plug-ins. Wow! <snip>

Remember Armando, that there's no such thing (right now) as an 'Accel' HD Core Card... so when upgrading an HD3 to accel, you're really only swapping out the two process cards for Accel Process cards. I should really look at the numbers so I can relate to what you're talking about... I just thought I'd add that point for clarity.
Cheers
Old 05-20-2004, 04:18 PM

Yes, that's true but remember, I did the "original" Mix3 to HD3 exchange. My 1-Core and 2-Process PCI cards are dated/out of warranty period. Not meaning that my cards will have issues anytime soon but the Mix folks who will be upgrading to Accel get 1 to 3 brand new "virgin" cards complete with a 1 year warranty, as it should be but I took that into account when comparing the differences in value of both exchanges. As I said in my original post, this is a fantastic package/value exchange for all those Mix system users who wish to go HD. It's a no brainer.