Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Default S3 optimum angle?

Hey All-

Building a new (motorized height adjustable!) desk, and while I have artist series now, depending what the development for the S3 looks like I might switch in the future (mostly I want to see it's own touchscreen app or something to match that feature on the artist control).

In any case I find the artist series is more ergo when tilted about 10-15 degrees towards me, would people say that seems about right with the S3 too?

Generally with the artist I find it much easier to see all of the OLEDs over the knobs when it's tilted. Thanks-
Old 01-03-2015, 04:38 PM

Default Re: S3 optimum angle?

Depending on the hight of your desk you may find you need to tilt the S3 to see the top row of OLEDS.

I plan to raise the back of mine to a position where I no longer have the knobs in the way. Although it's currently not bad

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks Norrie-

Playing around with this it looks like even 20 degrees wouldn't be too much. I figure I'm going to build the desk for RU and then even if it ends up being a 'stand' for a controller, the racks still give me a place to mount stuff too.

Did you come from artist series before? I really like the mix the best out of the artist series (and hate the offset faders between mix and control...), but I was curious if the 'layouts' was working out as a suitable substitute for the touch screen? I mostly use the screen for navigation with color coding, I feel like I would miss it.

I wish they would make a S3 transport with a integrated touchscreen (detachable wifi tablet would be ideal)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desk s3.jpg (24.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Thanks Norrie-

Playing around with this it looks like even 20 degrees wouldn't be too much. I figure I'm going to build the desk for RU and then even if it ends up being a 'stand' for a controller, the racks still give me a place to mount stuff too.

Did you come from artist series before? I really like the mix the best out of the artist series (and hate the offset faders between mix and control...), but I was curious if the 'layouts' was working out as a suitable substitute for the touch screen? I mostly use the screen for navigation with color coding, I feel like I would miss it.

I wish they would make a S3 transport with a integrated touchscreen (detachable wifi tablet would be ideal)!
I've never owned the artist series stuff apart from the Transport I got when I got my S3.

I use the S3 and have a Allen & heath GS-R 24M console in the studio it's great but I love the S3 for a ITB work flow and love the S3 track layers etc.

Before this I was using a roland VS-700 and before that was 003 and project mix before that.

What I have been doing recently is incorporating slate digital batch commander into my work flow and I've been playing with it in Air display and Duet Display using the floating tool bar so I can have touch screen macros on my iPad right next to me

You can have a quick look here. It if you like I can show you more info on it etc

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite