Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Re: HD Native on Core Cards

So you think the HD Native card is vastly different to a TDM card in its design? So different that if Avid wanted to, they could not implement a software mixer using TDM cards? I find that hard to believe, and in fact would go so far as to say it's rubbish...

You can use your 192 + HD Core card as an interface for third party DAWs, so there is no reason whatsoever that, if Avid wanted to, they could run Pro Tools Native using the TDM card as the interface.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
So you think the HD Native card is vastly different to a TDM card in its design? So different that if Avid wanted to, they could not implement a software mixer using TDM cards? I find that hard to believe, and in fact would go so far as to say it's rubbish...

You can use your 192 + HD Core card as an interface for third party DAWs, so there is no reason whatsoever that, if Avid wanted to, they could run Pro Tools Native using the TDM card as the interface.
But why would you want to...?

TDM does more than Native.

It doesn't look like it now... because the current line of TDM cards are vastly underpowered compared to current native processing, but when the new TDM cards come out, it will all make sense.

There will be no reason to run Native on a TDM card.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Like I said, I know the relative merits of TDM and Native.

I don't want to do it! But it would be better for users of say HD1, who feel that now Native would be more powerful; if they could run Native on their existing hardware.

Like I said, you've missed the point of my post all along! :)
Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I don't want to do it! But it would be better for users of say HD1, who feel that now Native would be more powerful; if they could run Native on their existing hardware.

I really haven't missed the point... I understand your point. All I'm saying is that it's never going to happen.

Avid created HD|N to be an entirely separate solution from TDM. HD1 looks underpowered now only because of timing. Come another month or two... the tables will turn.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
But why would you want to...?

TDM does more than Native.

It doesn't look like it now... because the current line of TDM cards are vastly underpowered compared to current native processing, but when the new TDM cards come out, it will all make sense.

There will be no reason to run Native on a TDM card.
the day that happens
i will remove "hold fast baby hold fast" from my sig line.
(at least for a day LOL)

Old 10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Avid

Quote:

Let's clear up a few things about all of this.

The Pro Tools version that runs with Native is *exactly* the same as the HD version in functionality. The only difference being Native cannot run TDM plug-ins and HD is a tad bit faster as far as monitoring latencies go - and you can run TDM plug-ins with near-zero latency.

HD systems are extremely unlikely to ever run the mixer on the CPU. The round trip latencies for doing so would completely dissolve any of the benefits of the near-zero latency monitoring capabilities of HD.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Native means processing on the native CPU so, it would be easy to make the HD core card as a native input I/O card. We have already that feature with the core driver but it is limited to 8 I/O.

If you say that your PT HD Native card is handling the mix engine too, you are using the word "Native" in completely the wrong way.Totally wrong.

I wouldn´t be surprised if the new HD Core TDM card looks pretty similar to the native card. I guess the native card is a crippled HD Core card based on the HUGE heat sink.

Can someone remove the heatsink and check which SHARC CPU there is?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Native means processing on the native CPU so, it would be easy to make the HD core card as a native input I/O card. We have already that feature with the core driver but it is limited to 8 I/O.
No, it's NOT easy. There are huge differences between getting 8 channels from a Core Audio driver and having a full-fledged, low latency system that can use TDM plug-ins.

Quote:
If you say that your PT HD Native card is handling the mix engine too, you are using the word "Native" in completely the wrong way.Totally wrong.
I didn't say that. I said the CPU ran the mixer.

Quote:
I wouldn´t be surprised if the new HD Core TDM card looks pretty similar to the native card. I guess the native card is a crippled HD Core card based on the HUGE heat sink.
The Native card bears almost zero resemblance to an HD Core card - it's a completely different design.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post

Can someone remove the heatsink and check which SHARC CPU there is?
It's not a SHARC. It's an FPGA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-p...ble_gate_array