Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2000, 04:10 PM

Default ADAT transfer using 001

Can anybody outline the steps I would take to do an ADAT transfer? Basically, I've got some songs recorded on 16 tracks to 2 different ADAT tapes, and want to transfer them into a Protools session using the optical in, 8 tracks at a time.
Mostly I'm worried about how to maintain sync. Has anybody done this?
Old 02-04-2000, 04:21 PM

Default Re: ADAT transfer using 001

Ditto!?
Old 02-04-2000, 05:44 PM

I had this question as well when I first began researching this product. The best feedback I've seen is to record a rimshot on all 16 tracks before the actual song begins and then to move the ADAT signal through the optical input on the PCI card in two separate 8 track passes. When all 16 tracks are on the hard drive, ProTools allows you to align the tracks by aligning the drum rimshot.

I haven't tried it yet as I am still waiting on my G4. If anyone has had actual experience, please let us know.

Paul
Old 02-04-2000, 08:01 PM

I do light pipe transfers between an ADAT and the Digi001 with no problems. The destination should slave to the clock of the source. The sample rates should match. PT should be set to start at the song's start time on the tape. This is done from the Show Session Set-up on the Windows menu.

I use a J. L. Cooper Cuepoint with an ADAT 9-pin card to convert the ADAT time code to MTC, and for transport.

Record on tape to PT, put in the 2nd or 3rd tape go to the start point and record again. No problem.
Old 02-04-2000, 11:21 PM

I've had no problems just using a count-in click on at least one track of each source tape. I group the tracks according to what source tape they are off of, then visually sync the click with really tight zoom on the waveform. Going back the other way is the problem. I got a ADAT PCR card but it didn't even recognize the ADATs. I haven't tried to sync w/ MTC since Digi001/LE won't transmit MTC (yet), but I'm hoping it will work with the BRC.
Old 02-07-2000, 04:35 PM

well, i tried the xfer last night. happy to report that the optical seems to work fine. due to the nature of the material (and the fact that i don't have the ADAT to compare) it's hard to say if the 3 minute song stayed in sync or not. one problem was that the song had a different starting point on the 2 tapes, so we had to do some fudging on the song start in protools.

the other problem i'm still having is with the DAE -6042 errors about the PCI bus being busy. i'm running 8.6 on a (forbidden, i know) umax s900/G3275 w/176 megs of RAM. i took the drive off the adaptec card and put it back on the internal SCSI. that seemed to help. also, it's kind of a pain, but imperative to remember to switch the buffer from small to large for recording or playback and vice versa. defragmenting the drive helps, too.