Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2023, 08:10 PM

Default HDX card noisy fans

I have a Sonnet chassis with HDX2. Without getting too much into it I had two new cards in that made zero noise. I wound up selling them thinking I didn't need them then re-bought two used cards. (Even longer story) After much experimentation I've realized that both (or one) of the HDX cards fans kick on and make a lot of noise when they are both in the chassis. When they are in by themselves they don't ever kick on. With the new cards no noise with the used cards noise. So I'm assuming it's a bad fan on one or both of them. So I've heard that the fans can be replaced, fixed or replaced and fixed by myself? Is that true and if so what is the best way to fix them?
Old 08-30-2023, 04:19 AM
Avid

Default Re: HDX card noisy fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
I have a Sonnet chassis with HDX2. Without getting too much into it I had two new cards in that made zero noise. I wound up selling them thinking I didn't need them then re-bought two used cards. (Even longer story) After much experimentation I've realized that both (or one) of the HDX cards fans kick on and make a lot of noise when they are both in the chassis. When they are in by themselves they don't ever kick on. With the new cards no noise with the used cards noise. So I'm assuming it's a bad fan on one or both of them. So I've heard that the fans can be replaced, fixed or replaced and fixed by myself? Is that true and if so what is the best way to fix them?
Hi, you can check with our authorized repair centers. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...roduct-Repairs

-Tope

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 08-30-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
Call your dealer and ask them to order replacement fans for the cards. Installing them is very easy.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:56 AM

... and removing them altogether even easier (if you want to void warranty, or if the warranty is already out).
Old 08-30-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... and removing them altogether even easier (if you want to void warranty, or if the warranty is already out).
That won't work. There's a check on the fan operation on all the production HDX models that reports an error if the fan is missing/non-functioning. (the prototype HDX cards did not have fans and would operate without)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:32 PM

The trick is to twist the fan wires so the card "sees" a fan which is just a loopback wire.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The trick is to twist the fan wires so the card "sees" a fan which is just a loopback wire.
How well does no-fan HDX card work in a high airflow case like Mac Pro 7,1? Any issues?
Old 08-31-2023, 03:26 AM

Mac Pro handles airflow very well, but if you keep the Mac Pro in a small closet (or isobox) you may have problems running it 24/7
Old 08-31-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
How well does no-fan HDX card work in a high airflow case like Mac Pro 7,1? Any issues?
Single card, perfectly fine. The original card wasn't to have fans at all but it was added as a safety for multi-card setups (tightly packed cards with no guarantee on air flow because of the variety of cases out there, it became a concern.)
There's a fanless prototype still running today continuously at one of the studios here. It was temporarily in my multi-card setup for about 3 years.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:57 PM

I have the very 1st HDX Cards in Hollywood. The first 6 have no fans.
They have been used in Mac Cheesegraters for years ( 3 in each one) and they still work flawlessly. I ended up buying more HDX cards for Dolby Atmos / Madi and they also work fine and some of them are in new Mac Studio with HDX 2's for using them for Dolby Atmos with Madi .
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.

Last edited by dr sound; 09-02-2023 at 10:08 AM.