Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Default Re: YES!!!! 64bit Pro Tools!!!!

I agree. The ability to access large amounts of RAM is the only plus I acknowledge as well, especially when using "ROMplers" or VI's with massive sample libraries (East West Quantum Leap for example).

But I read somewhere (probably here) that MAC OS-X version whatever can make use of over 3.6Gb RAM in 32bit.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I agree. The ability to access large amounts of RAM is the only plus I acknowledge as well, especially when using "ROMplers" or VI's with massive sample libraries (East West Quantum Leap for example).

But I read somewhere (probably here) that MAC OS-X version whatever can make use of over 3.6Gb RAM in 32bit.
The operating system can, but the ProTools process itself can only see 4GB. I think there are some scenarios where the VI can be a separate process, but I'm not sure where that applies..
Old 01-31-2010, 12:33 PM

As I learned recently from a helpful Mac HD user, there is a host/rewire wrapper called Bidule which can be used for windows or OSX, allowing a separate chunk of memory to house VST (or AU) instruments

I tried it on XP, I successfully loaded an extra 700MB of VIs, with 4GB on the board (PT8 would only reach 1.4GB or so).
My copy of win 7 64bit and another 8GB arrive this week. I assume I can use 3-4GB for PT and then the same again or more for Bidule. Of course, when PT goes 64 bit, this would be less useful. However the other potential uses are:

For VIs with a problem with RTAS under w7 64bit, instead wrap their VST version with Bidule, and use rewire. I ran 10 audio channels out quite easily from Kontakt 4, and some other NI and arturia VIs. Bidule also has a mixer and arpeggiator, etc.

Use your laptop (or a spare PC/Mac) as a separate synth module: run IO into PT, and drive it via midi: Bidule can load as a standalone host, connected straight to midi ports and soundcard ports. You would probably wish to use fewer audio channels and mixdown to stereo in the 2nd PC. This would be similar to what the PLAY engine can offer. There is a 64 bit version of Bidule too. I think I may use a 2nd PC with quad core if I need more VIs than my CPUs can handle

cheers
Tone
Old 02-11-2010, 11:23 AM

The other issue that Digi/PTolols will have (thank Baby Jesus) is that all the competition in DAWs available today are surpassing there standards. So to compete with the field they have no choice but to support Win 7 64 bit as well as a complete 64 bit program because most already are compatible with Win 7 64bit months/year ago as well as Sonar/Cubase and other DAWS and Plugs already utilizing the entire 64bit design not just compatible.

So either Digi steps up their game and supports and writes 64 bit, not just on HD or they simply loose all customers in that market and get no new customers and have crap loads of bad reviews because all the cheaper more preloaded DAWS are already ahead of them and you don't need a digi interface either.

All that being said I love my PT's other than these issues. Just being honest Digi is falling off the map with new customers and loosing old ones quick. And the greed over at MAC with Logic is another story, that's why I'll stay PT but I mite just have to jump ship on both of them for Cubase if [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] doesn't get straightened out quick fast.

Ha, I got the bleep bleep. I know this is my first post over here but I'm a honest dude and call it how I see it and wish that Pro Tools got back ahead of the pack instead of falling off.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbayGiant View Post
The other issue that Digi/PTolols will have (thank Baby Jesus)
Just being honest Digi is falling off the map with new customers and loosing old ones quick..
I tend to disagree a bit (even though at this point I would love to agree) Fact of the matter is everyone is still hear complaining about issues they were complaining about last year and the year before that...and they are still users. As a matter of fact, most ppl who complain often try to find a work around instead of flipping to a brand new DAW. Ppl have spent thousands of dollars just to try and get stability for this DAW, instead of demanding the DAW be stable for more systems.

Even though LE is very popular, most real world pro users are on HD & TDM. So there is really no need for them to compete in the "home user" market that heavily..They have little to no competition at the Pro level!! IT IS the professional standard. Because it is a pro standard, that means every non-pro and home user would want to learn it at the very least. That means buying it..period...Not to mention the thousands of HD and TDM users who want to take a project home to listen to or work on who will not blow another 10k for an at home HD system.... And the pro level users (check the POST section) have way too big projects to rely on memory alone to get the job done.

Now, to their defense...64 bit has been around for a LONG TIME..It just happens to be the latest I7 craze on various forums that have caused this uproar in demand for a 64bit version of LE. Ppl should have been demanding it natively since XP64.

I for one would love to see a new standard in the LE models. ADC, unlimited tracks, unlimited routing capabilities, fewer HD buffer issues..fewer errors across more systems period...but I'd also be willing to pay for it. Other DAWS have a great entry price for all of the features that PT doesn't have..But none can claim being a standard..until a new standard is born, I wouldn't count on PT using too many customers...esp. those in the $5k and over mark.