Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

186 Dverbs for the Dynamic Duo G5 2.7 and Trinity HD3 ( 86 RTAS DVerbs + 100 HD3 Dverbs) This Mac has a motherboard problem, so I'm not sure if that is affecting the dverb test. Also had some startup items running. 90% CPU setting.

I'm considering going quadzilla, even though this may not give me more total DSP than my present setup.
Reasons:
1) I like the flexibility of the DSP allocation. I'm constantly running out of DSP for native only instrument plugins. It would be great to move DSP allocation depending on whether I'm arranging or mixing. With HD cards, I can't use any of it for native only plugs. I think that is one of the great advantages of the quadzilla.
2) Some of my investment in DSP/CPU wouldn't be partially dedicated to Protools exclusively. So other music apps / video etc would benefit.
3) I can sell my HD3 and 192io and go quadzilla and have a profit.
4) My clients are not requiring TDM HD compatibility anymore.

I wish there was a Giant Octopus system ready to go - then it would be a no brainer...

brent
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:

I wish there was a Giant Octopus system ready to go - then it would be a no brainer...

brent
I believe Shan and company have something in the works that will allow a nice upgrade path into the Octa-PC with a particular motherboard they have in mind. This will allow one to start a quad system and then swap out for 2 four cores, when they become avaialble. This is the route I will be taking without a doubt ;-)

Imagine the soft synth capabilities alone.

Now for 64 bit compatibility. Bring on the rammmmmmmm!!! Would a Terabite of Ram be overkill? ;-)

~Lapis~
Old 10-12-2006, 03:21 AM

Shan what is the motherboard that you'all have settled on for the Octa-Pus upgrade path.

I am ready to purchase the quad but if there is a upgrade path I would like the future flexibility.

Thank You
Old 10-12-2006, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Congratulations

Quote:
maybe if we call shan names he will come out and play! you dirty mac lover!! J/K LOL
Dirty Mac lover! ...I've heard of luring, but that's below the belt! Guitardom!

filosofem
Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Quadzilla Rack

I now have all components for my Quad.... bar the case. I desperately want to rackmount this baby, as space is at a premium. Have looked at the Chenbro RM 313 - too noisy The Antec Take 3 - has own power supply, so impractical when I've an OCZ in my posession. The Silverstone LC20?

Pls help!

Ruudus
Old 10-12-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Quadzilla Rack

Hi Ruudus

ASUS or Tyan motherboard? Silverstone cases may look nice, but their not very practical, especially if your after tranquillity. Headroom for third party coolers is going to be an issue, as with case fan housing, Zalman Heatsinks and Fans will be your main concern, but this really does depend on your objectives.

filosofem
Old 10-12-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Hi Ruudus

ASUS or Tyan motherboard? Silverstone cases may look nice, but their not very practical, especially if your after tranquillity. Headroom for third party coolers is going to be an issue, as with case fan housing, Zalman Heatsinks and Fans will be your main concern, but this really does depend on your objectives.

filosofem
I'm Tyan all the way. Was thinking of just using the standard Opteron cooling for the time being - just want to get my beast up and running! Maybe I should get a 4U case then... that wouldn't be a problem.

Ruudus
Old 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Ruudus, if none of these things are your concern, by all means choose Silverstone.

filosofem
Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM

hey guys a little off topic but ,on my tyan quad i lose my usb connections at random times. my command 8 loses connection and also my digi midi i/o loses connection where i have to reboot. any sugestions appriciated.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Ruudus: I bought my Silverstone LC13 because it's got thick aluminum corners for the hinges of the door on the front. A pair of rack ears could easily be made with 1" angled steel or aluminum, and there's plenty of aluminum at the corners for bolts to sink their threads into. They would not be able to support the case on their own, but at least keep it at the bottom of a rack (and look cool). It also fits the Asus K8N-DL dual socket 940 mobo nicely without blocking the bottom drive bracket like other E-ATX mobos can.

I ended up aborting the idea of taking my quad on the road (what was I thinking...) and got a notebook for live multitracking. Multiple Firewire audio interfaces plus an eSATA PCIMCIA card is a thing of beauty! My 1.6GHz Pentium M lappie handles 24-track 24/96 recording with ease.