Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2022, 11:02 AM

Default Pro-Tools Freezing When Switching Between Playlist Tracks

Hey! Wondering if anyone else is having issues switching between playlist tracks. Pro-Tools jams up and gets the spinning beach ball and I have to force quit. I recently upgraded to Pro-Tools 2022.07.0 and am running a 2022 Mac Studio 64G, 10 Core CPU, 32 Core GPU. It seem like a pretty ridiculously simple issue to jam up a computer like that. Any ideas?
Old 10-04-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Pro-Tools Freezing When Switching Between Playlist Tracks

Got info?

Without more, I got 3 quick guesses:

1) Bad plug-ins (everything up to date, no super old etc?)
2) MacOS - PT compatibility (versions of both?)
3) Something else running in background on system.

Otherwise, fully going through
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
can help users help you troubleshoot.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-04-2022, 11:58 AM

Hey, thanks for the response! What info would be helpful?
1) Plugins should all be good. I updated from a MacBook Pro and did a fresh install of everything about 3 weeks ago
2) I'm running Pro-Tools 2022.07 right now with Monterey 12.5. As far as I know everything is compatible, but I may be missing something.
3) Everything else is shut down. No internet running either.

In terms of the optimization, I did all of that EXCEPT for the section under troubleshooting. When I follow the instructions: "Go to folder ~/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools" .... Avid is not in my preferences. Not sure what that means or what I should do there.

Thanks for the info, and if there is anything else that would be helpful for you to help figure this out, just let me know! Thanks again
Old 10-04-2022, 12:11 PM

Hey, you're welcome.

1) Plug-ins are super important to carefully troubleshoot. How old are some of them? They might install on a Silicon system but not actually work properly. If the plug-ins are well supported, likely the new installs you did are OK. However, there could be some OLD plug-ins that installed but aren't playing nice with new OS and hardware.

If it got to that point, troubleshooting steps might include a factory reset, re-install PT, NO PLUGS YET, test, install plugs slowly, see if and when the issue happens. As far as it goes, there have been other users with similar issues, and in some cases it is probably plug-ins:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...ning+beachball

2) That is what's compatible. There might be random bugs for some reason. Much is being fixed every month. Are your sessions large and what about the operation you are doing... just switching one track's playlist? You MIGHT try upping to 2022.9 and 12.5.1 if you can. But if your system is new, a total wipe and start over could be advisable, especially without old plug-ins.

3) That's good.

Note: even Plug-Ins not active in a session can affect session performance. Just by being installed and loaded at PT launch.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-05-2022, 09:05 AM

Thank you!
Ok, plugins are generally all pretty new. The only "old" ones I'd have would be a few legacy UA ones (SSL Channel Strip, 1176, etc...) How old are we talking here? Like I have Izotope Rx 9 and not 10. Or are you more talking about something from years back? My Valhalla ones are "old" but I'm running the latest versions.

My sessions are definitely big. Although playback with a boatload of plugins is smooth and fine. The only issue I've had has been this simple switching between playlists (basically making a comp).

I'll try a few more troubleshooting things, and will install the latest version of Monterey plus the latest Pro-Tools. I'm hoping it will be a simple solution.
Thanks again
Old 10-05-2022, 05:09 PM

Izotope says RX 9 is OK with Silicon. So it should be OK.

Really, looking at each specific plug in to see what the manufacturer says is the needed step. If anything is clearly problematic/not supported, then uninstalling it would be recommended for now, just to see if that is it.

Otherwise, opening a support ticket with AVID is highly recommended. Forum is good place for discussion, but opening a ticket gets more active developer attention. In the course of things, they walk through varied troubleshooting, but might also ask for specific logs or whatever, and the learning they do can add up to a fix later. Sometimes the issue will just resolve in the troubleshooting, and other times a real bug is found that can then get squashed.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:19 AM

Thanks for all the info. I did the new installs yesterday and will see what happens with that. I appreciate you taking the time to help - it means a lot for a first time commenter on here!