Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 AM

Default Connecting HD I/O 16X16 to c24 monitoring section

Im running a hd i/o to a 2 bus lt back to the interface and i got that figured out/ but I want to use the monitor section of the c24 from AES output of my interface as the source. any suggestions on how i do that and what cables I use from the I/O to the c24 and where they go ?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Connecting HD I/O 16X16 to c24 monitoring section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseylee412 View Post
Im running a hd i/o to a 2 bus lt back to the interface and i got that figured out/ but I want to use the monitor section of the c24 from AES output of my interface as the source. any suggestions on how i do that and what cables I use from the I/O to the c24 and where they go ?

Thanks
You cannot do this. AES/EBU is digital, the C|24 is analog only and does not have any DACs on board.

If you have to monitor based on that AES/EBU output there are lots of options out there, including any of the (very nice) Grace Design monitoring products, that all have on board DACs. Or if you really want to use the C|24 monitor section and absolutely out of analog outputs, then throw on another Avid HD Interface for more IO, or throw out the 2Bus summing box and just mix ITB like everybody else (I'll bet money you wont' hear the difference, or if you do that same improvement, err artifact, can easily be added ITB). Personally I'd look to get off the C|24 monitor.

And something is not making sense here. A 2 Bus only has 8 inputs, so your 16x16 has 8 spare line outputs.... what are they being used for? Why cannot they go the analog monitor?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You cannot do this. AES/EBU is digital, the C|24 is analog only and does not have any DACs on board.

If you have to monitor based on that AES/EBU output there are lots of options out there, including any of the (very nice) Grace Design monitoring products, that all have on board DACs. Or if you really want to use the C|24 monitor section and absolutely out of analog outputs, then throw on another Avid HD Interface for more IO, or throw out the 2Bus summing box and just mix ITB like everybody else (I'll bet money you wont' hear the difference, or if you do that same improvement, err artifact, can easily be added ITB). Personally I'd look to get off the C|24 monitor.

And something is not making sense here. A 2 Bus only has 8 inputs, so your 16x16 has 8 spare line outputs.... what are they being used for? Why cannot they go the analog monitor?

The 2 bus had 16 inputs
Old 07-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The 2 bus had 16 inputs
Oh doh, yes of course it does.... well another low-cost options is to just not use two of them.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Oh doh, yes of course it does.... well another low-cost options is to just not use two of them.
I thought these forums where meant for support of engineers. not ignorant responses from people who boast about what they suggest you use instead of actually helping with what you gave ?

thanks for your input
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I thought these forums where meant for support of engineers. not ignorant responses from people who boast about what they suggest you use instead of actually helping with what you gave ?

thanks for your input
This is a user based forum where Avid users help and get help from each other.

There is no need to get snippy. Thanks.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:

thanks for your input
You are not doing too well here on DUC are you? First it is trying to connect a Thunderbolt HD box to the DisplayPort port on an old Mac Pro. Now it's wanting to connect a digital AES/EBU connection to a C|24. And when I point those out I get told I'm ignorant?

No matter how much you *want* two things to work together, if they can't, they can't. No matter how hard you wish, or how many times you click your ruby slippers together, that's the way the real world works. Oh and that tooth fairy, nope sorry all a lie.

Again so it's very clear to you what your options are...

1. Use any outboard monitoring solution with DAC input, I recommended some great ones.
(Bzzzt I got this wrong-- since you have a 16x16 IO and are using all 16 outputs already (not sure why I thought that sum box had 8 inputs), you can't use the AES/EBU output for monitroing).

2. Add more analog outputs to your rig with another DigiLink IO box.

3. Disconnect two outputs going to your summing box and use those to power the monitor section on the C|24.

4. Give up on external summing and mix ITB (My first choice, and sell the 2-Bus and use that to buy beer).

5. Monitor only the 2-Bus output, not the final Pro Tools output. In which case just hook up to the 2-bus monitor outputs to the C|24. (I would never want to do this as I'd want plugins on the mix output).

Those are your options. If you are not happy with them, well too bad.

You seem to be struggling with some basic stuff, which might raise the question why you are messing around with complex setups like a C|24 and a outboard summing box to start with. You might be better off finding somebody to sit down with and help you work through what you want to achieve and how youw ant to use this rig, and have them help design an overall rig, especially before you buy anything else. And that discussion ought to include things like how not-great the mic preamps and monitoring section are on the C|24... it is not clear what preamps you are using, but I would especially be questioning any rig that was using C|24 preamps but was mixing through an outboard summing box.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-13-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
You are not doing too well here on DUC are you? First it is trying to connect a Thunderbolt HD box to the DisplayPort port on an old Mac Pro.
Hey this very thing has got me before - thought I had a TB connection on my win laptop for about 30 min - those connectors are identical.......that is just not right

Quote:
No matter how much you *want* two things to work together, if they can't, they can't. No matter how hard you wish, or how many times you click your ruby slippers together, that's the way the real world works. Oh and that tooth fairy, nope sorry all a lie.
Hillarious

Quote:
4. Give up on external summing and mix ITB (My first choice, and sell the 2-Bus and use that to buy beer).
Beer or a monitoring solution with a DAC

Quote:
5. Monitor only the 2-Bus output, not the final Pro Tools output. In which case just hook up to the 2-bus monitor outputs to the C|24. (I would never want to do this as I'd want plugins on the mix output).
Meh, but it is doable especially with PT11's offline bounce....then bring it back into PT. And no extra hsrdware

Quote:
but I would especially be questioning any rig that was using C|24 preamps but was mixing through an outboard summing box.

This is real..... $^)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:

thanks for your input
Wow, is that how you talk to everyone? I bet that response will have people jumping over each other to help you out around here…..Humility my friend. Humility….

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp