Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-12-2018, 01:07 PM

Default HP Z420, what Windows and PT to use for best stability?

Hello Folks.

I have staked a claim on an HP Z420, should have it in a few days. So in the meantime I would like to figure out which version of all of the software I will be installing/running so I can get up and running asap.

As for the research I have done, it seems PT 2018.7 is able to be installed in Win 8.1 and Win 10. Then PT 12.8.2 is compatible with Windows 7 - all 64bit of course.

As far as I can tell, all of the plugs I use (UAD, Brainworx, McDSP, and Waves are the vast majority) are compatible with Win 7 SP1 through Win 10 so my interest is purely in stability, with one exception...

My single exception is that I would like to use my Apollo Twin Thunderbolt. For this I am also receiving an HP Thunderbolt PCIe card which I have read works on Z Workstations with what was Windows 8.1 and the Apolo Thunderbolt - though again afaik this is not sanctioned by UAD. I am willing to make a jump for it and if it doesn't work then I have a backup interface that will work.

And finally I am looking for a solid combination with Windows/Pro Tools... I wouldn't mind to use the latest 2018.7, but 12.xxx is fine as well. I will basically be looking to freeze the system in time... no updates of anything unless there are bugs to be fixed.

So... does anyone have some experience in this dept? I assume there are a few HP Z420 users since it is still a FQPC with Avid.

Thanks, everyone!

HP Z420
Xeon E5-2680, 8x 2.7 GHz
32 GB DDR3 ram
1 GB nVidia Quadro K600 video
Old 08-14-2018, 01:21 AM

Default Re: HP Z420, what Windows and PT to use for best stability?

Okay. Well, I had hoped someone had some experience here, but perhaps that person doesn't need be here since their system is so rock solid. ;-)

So further reading has led me to believe that in order to use thunderbolt and the UAD Apollo that I am limited to Windows 10. I mistakingly thought I read Windows 8.1... I will start there.

After that I may try Win 8.1 with a different audio card - I have a FW 1394A set of inputs. So then I will have them both running and make a decision for myself - unless the Win 10 system just runs crazy good out of the box - so to speak.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:13 AM

Unless someone has your exact MB and interface, which could happen, it's hard to say what your experience or software versions will provide in terms of stability.

I found out, when pursuing using an Apollo USB interface, that certain USB chipsets don't work with the Apollo. I had to purchase a PCIe card for USB 3.0 because the onboard USB 3.0 chipset was not compatible. Don't know if this is the same issue using TB but it might be, so check with UA.

I am running Windows 10, latest version of PT and the Apollo and it's stable. I only use ASUS/Intel Motherboards because over time I've had fewer stability issues than any other brand or processor.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:59 AM

Get Windows 10.

The first thing you will probably want to do when you get the computer (after installing Windows) is head over to the HP site and update the BIOS and all drivers. I like to do it manually, but HP does offer a download manager too.

The Z series are great computers, very stable. If it comes with a HDD, consider grabbing an SSD and install Windows to that.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-14-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Get Windows 10.

The first thing you will probably want to do when you get the computer (after installing Windows) is head over to the HP site and update the BIOS and all drivers. I like to do it manually, but HP does offer a download manager too.

The Z series are great computers, very stable. If it comes with a HDD, consider grabbing an SSD and install Windows to that.
Thanks for the info!

Definitely got SDD coming with it! I have had PT on Windows several times and always end up back at the Mac, which is fine, but I need a bit more than I have now - I think having a serious FQ Z Series will be a pleasant experience.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Klinger View Post
Hello Folks.

I have staked a claim on an HP Z420, should have it in a few days. So in the meantime I would like to figure out which version of all of the software I will be installing/running so I can get up and running asap.

As for the research I have done, it seems PT 2018.7 is able to be installed in Win 8.1 and Win 10. Then PT 12.8.2 is compatible with Windows 7 - all 64bit of course.

As far as I can tell, all of the plugs I use (UAD, Brainworx, McDSP, and Waves are the vast majority) are compatible with Win 7 SP1 through Win 10 so my interest is purely in stability, with one exception...

My single exception is that I would like to use my Apollo Twin Thunderbolt. For this I am also receiving an HP Thunderbolt PCIe card which I have read works on Z Workstations with what was Windows 8.1 and the Apolo Thunderbolt - though again afaik this is not sanctioned by UAD. I am willing to make a jump for it and if it doesn't work then I have a backup interface that will work.

And finally I am looking for a solid combination with Windows/Pro Tools... I wouldn't mind to use the latest 2018.7, but 12.xxx is fine as well. I will basically be looking to freeze the system in time... no updates of anything unless there are bugs to be fixed.

So... does anyone have some experience in this dept? I assume there are a few HP Z420 users since it is still a FQPC with Avid.

Thanks, everyone!

HP Z420
Xeon E5-2680, 8x 2.7 GHz
32 GB DDR3 ram
1 GB nVidia Quadro K600 video
Hello Erik,

I recently jumped from Mac to Windows and bougth a refurbished HP Z420 with a E5-2670 8 core 2,6gHz. I have windows 10 Pro installed and Pro Tools 2018.7 installed however have not done real recordings with it yet however I can controll my pre-amps (Merging Horus) remotely all seems to work fine so far. The only "major" problem I have is the noise the HP makes due to the FANS, I am either considering placing the machine in a seperate room and buy extension cables for USB and Displaport or replace the FANs and try to make it silent. What are your findings in respect to noise?
Avid recommends to switch of Turbo Boost and Hyper threading in the BIOS, I tried both with and without Hyper-threading both settings work fine till now