Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Nehalem YES - but which one?

Hi all,

I'm very close to buying one the new Mac Pro "Nehalem" Models only to run ProTools on it. But the question is which on to buy?

Now for roughly the same amount of money, I can choose to put 8 GB of RAM in a quad 2.93 OR buy a Octad 2.26 Ghz (also with 8 GB RAM). The later scores better on multithread programs but around the same as a 2008 2.88 Mac Pro on single threaded program (like ProTools). The Quad 2.93 socres better on single threaded of all the mentioned machines.

What to do?

I usually do not run a lot of RTAS plugs as I think the sound not as good as there TDM counterparts. I tend to max out my HD3 system on the TDM side though.

Peter
www.clearproduction.dk
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Nehalem YES - but which one?

Hi,

you may wanna take a look at this report.
The guy writing them is amazing and you can learn a lot from reading all the reports on this site

http://macperformanceguide.com/Revie...roNehalem.html
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM

Hi,

I recently had the same choice to make. I went with the Quad 2.93 with 8 GB of RAM; I later upped my RAM to 16 GB.

I moved from a dual 2.5 G5 and I couldn't be happier. The machine is lightning fast and I haven't a single crash or issue regarding Pro Tools in the last few weeks; working 6-7 days a week with heavy mix sessions.

(the machine was lightning fast with the 8GB of RAM, but even snappier with the 16 GB)

I'm running PT 8cs2 with an Accel HD6 using a Magma PE6R4-I.

Another note, the updated Magma PE6R4-I is dead quiet.

Best,

JSR
Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 PM

Hi 25ghost and others...

Mr. Lloyd Chambers recommends buying the 8-core system even though he also concludes, that very few programs utilize all 8 cores. Some programs are even slower on octad.

So I guess my question (to DIGI?) is: Will ProTools utilize 8 cores within the lifespan of a brand new Mac Pro Octad (say two years?)

Mr. Chambers also recommends bump'in the RAM up to at least 16GB. Will this also be the case with ProTools? DIGI?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Hey JSR,

Are you saying you did NOT go with the 8-core? I thought with the Quad 2.93 that 8GB RAM was the max. Can you clarify for me?

Thanks!

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you did NOT go with the 8-core? I thought with the Quad 2.93 that 8GB RAM was the max. Can you clarify for me?
8GB is the max that apple will sell you. It will actually take 16GB if you use 4 4GB modules(However you must use 4 identical 4GB modules). Check out OWC for more info:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory
Old 05-09-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks John!

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 AM

One thing I've read repeatedly is that its better to install RAM in groups of 3 in the Nehalem Macs. They implement some sort of "triple channel" memory access, which is only available when RAM chips are installed in groups of 3, so apparently, it's better to go with 12GB or 24GB for raw memory->processor speed. I'm contemplating the same purchase. My Quad G5's are not broken at all - in fact the performance with PT 7.4 is every bit as good as the 2008 Intel Macs, and more reliable in terms of RTAS, but I do more video work these days, so I pretty much have to upgrade.

JSR - any feedback you can offer re RTAS performance and track count with the Magma chassis would be much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Golder View Post
One thing I've read repeatedly is that its better to install RAM in groups of 3 in the Nehalem Macs. They implement some sort of "triple channel" memory access, which is only available when RAM chips are installed in groups of 3, so apparently, it's better to go with 12GB or 24GB for raw memory->processor speed. I'm contemplating the same purchase. My Quad G5's are not broken at all - in fact the performance with PT 7.4 is every bit as good as the 2008 Intel Macs, and more reliable in terms of RTAS, but I do more video work these days, so I pretty much have to upgrade.

JSR - any feedback you can offer re RTAS performance and track count with the Magma chassis would be much appreciated.

All I can say is with the Magma chassis you basically have a Mac with 6 extra slots and no compromise; the cards simply react as if there in your Mac. RTAS-wise I can have my buffer at 64 or 128 without a hitch.

I am not the guy who throws on a million D-Verbs to check my system performance; but I will say I have been mixing with this system for the last few weeks, using many power hungry RTAS plugs like the Masserati collection and the system is barely being taxed. I used to be in the world of mixing with my system resources window open; holding my breath when instantiating more then a few big RTAS plugs; but now I don't even think to look at it.

And as far as which Nehalem to get, just make a decision and go for it; it's a waist of time these days to over-ponder the differences in these machines because the fact of the matter is you're gonna want a new one anyway in a year or two. i try to buy machines with that in mind; knowing that I'm going to want to sell the machine I have now while the resale value is still peaking to offset the cost of my new one.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:26 AM

bump