Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2003, 09:34 AM

Default how do you guys record your drum machine tracks?

now that ive stepped up to the 002 i want to expand my skills...so far ive just been recording audio out of my 4 drum machine outputs on my alesis sr 16 and im wondering if this is my best way to go...i dabbled briefly recording it via midi cable but im not getting how to do it......what do you guys do? am i wasting my time? should i be using drum loops oe something else? thanks chas
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: how do you guys record your drum machine tracks?

I'm in a similar position - figuring out how to best produce convincing drum tracks.

I've had no trouble recording the MIDI output from the SR16, though so far, I've mostly just recorded the audio output from it. I HATE programming songs on that box, and I'm tired of its drum sounds anyway.

So, right now, I'm learning how to program drum loops in Reason.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:40 AM

I myself have not put enough time and effort into working with drum loops. I've used other types of loops for synth and effect fills but not for drums.

For drums, i've worked with software drum samplers. I've used LM4-MkII in Cubase with individual drum samples mapped out. I've also used Sampletank in PTLE.

Then I use my keyboard and record the drums via MIDI. Just a simple GM drum mapping. I like to seperate the drums into individual MIDI tracks afterwards so I can have more control over all the parameters for each sample.

I'm looking forward to using Sampletank2 or Battery from Native Instruments for PTLE when they come out.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:44 PM

I've been working it from a couple of different angles, but I am still not able to come up with a really good sounding machine driven drums either. I have the DR770 and its a fine machine, but programming it step by step is the way to go, but its very very tedious and time consuming.
Before I even got my first DAW I got a program called Techno E-Jay that was a really cheezy, but fun, techno music making program. You would just drag and drop your patterns into place... so simple. So I have been taking samples of my favorite beats and cut them down to an exact 4-8 bar pattern and just cut and paste them where I want to. So far so good, but once again - very tedious.
I also got my drummer to jsut play some tunes and i have been chopping certain patterns out for later use too. This is by far the most fun, and realist sounding.
But... I know there are easier ways than this, soi will be watching this thread too.
Kev

Old 07-06-2003, 02:23 PM

I'm actually blown away by the realistic drum sounds Reason has. Great hi hats,great toms. Powerful kicks as well. I'm doing loops at this point for electronica and house. (If you really want to hear the power get a Tannoy PS110B.) Although I'll hear people that say they are looking for a non-programed drum sound. I have never tried to lay drums down with pads on an external sampler or keyboard via midi.Is this how one might get more realistic hits and then loop it for your song?Just asking about techniques on how people get thier drums when they don't have a drummer behind a kit to record.

DJ
Old 07-06-2003, 04:01 PM

here is a good clip (well, in my opinion, and I am a drummer who has recorded real drums in a band) of some drums on one of my songs, this is from a roland keyboard, done through midi.
You can get very good results when you transfer the midi to audio, and tweak with whatever effects you want.

away clip - drums.

Like I said, IMO, I think they are very real sounding, specially compared to just a dry midi drum track...

tim
Old 07-07-2003, 01:08 AM

I hate programming drum track so :
I plug my drum machine (Boss DR-5) in midi in order to control the DR008 loaded with a good drum kit (DKFH).
Then I record the very basic rythm (kick and snare) on the pads while playing on a midi track. On a second midi track, I record the cymbals and hats. On a third midi track, I record the breaks (toms...). Once everything is recorded, I put all the midi events very correctly (because when you play with the pads, it's not perfect...). Then, I record each element of the drum kit on an audio track. After that, I have all my separated drums in audio and can mix them just like a real drum ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hope it's clear !
Old 07-07-2003, 03:04 AM

You could just find a real drummer and record a real drum kit. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by graveleye:
I have the DR770 and its a fine machine, but programming it step by step is the way to go, but its very very tedious and time consuming....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">..and unnecessary.... I got the DR-770 too , here's the way I do it:
-Connect a single midi cable: Pro Tools Midi Out to DR-770 Midi In.
-Program a basic pattern (or even a single hit, roll, etc.) and set the 770 to Midi: SYNC Midi (check the manual)
-Set the tempo for the song in PT (use the slider in the transport window or tap/write in the tempo)
-Hit play (spacebar) and record the pattern, you can stop after a few bars. Now you got the basic tempo chart, in grid mode you can edit/paste etc. the pattern, record new sounds with the 770 to the same tempo grid, etc...
It's so much easier than programming the 770 and way more flexible. The DR-770 is coming from another 'age' where programming was the norm. I still think the machine has killer sounds, though. I often put the 770 sounds through heavy treatment via plug-ins. For example putting a snare through the Digi Lo-Fi plug-in with the 'noise' up is a great way to bring the snare 'sizzle' out...

Hope this makes sense...

Andi
Old 07-07-2003, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by doorknocker:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by graveleye:
I have the DR770 and its a fine machine, but programming it step by step is the way to go, but its very very tedious and time consuming....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">..and unnecessary.... I got the DR-770 too , here's the way I do it:
-Connect a single midi cable: Pro Tools Midi Out to DR-770 Midi In.
-Program a basic pattern (or even a single hit, roll, etc.) and set the 770 to Midi: SYNC Midi (check the manual)
-Set the tempo for the song in PT (use the slider in the transport window or tap/write in the tempo)
-Hit play (spacebar) and record the pattern, you can stop after a few bars. Now you got the basic tempo chart, in grid mode you can edit/paste etc. the pattern, record new sounds with the 770 to the same tempo grid, etc...
It's so much easier than programming the 770 and way more flexible. The DR-770 is coming from another 'age' where programming was the norm. I still think the machine has killer sounds, though. I often put the 770 sounds through heavy treatment via plug-ins. For example putting a snare through the Digi Lo-Fi plug-in with the 'noise' up is a great way to bring the snare 'sizzle' out...

Hope this makes sense...

Andi
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It makes a lot of sense Andi... in fact i have been thinking about trying it that way but just havent had the chance yet. Cool idea, and its nice to know it works [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]