Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2002, 01:28 AM

Default Advice on Building a studio

Hey everyone
I’m going to be building a new studio soon and am looking for some advice from you guys who have build studios before. We have about 1000 square ft. (just guessing) in an unfinished basement. I’m trying to figure out the best way to pursed. Not sure if I can do it myself or if it would best hire someone. I have done a bit of construction before but not on rooms that needed to be sound proof or sound good. Any of you guys know of any good sites or books on building studios? We are located in Atlanta, anyone know of any construction companies that design studios? Would appreciate help or insights you all can give me.

Thanks,

Lief Stevens
http://www.orangekrushband.com/
Old 05-25-2002, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Advice on Building a studio

I wrote a book on project studio design which includes a lot of detail on soundproof wall construction, vocal booths, drum rooms, wire routing, patching, etc. It's out of print now, but you might be able to get a used copy from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...F1/104-0851438 -7828712

It's called "Project Studio Blueprint" by Greg Galluccio.

It's not hard to do the construction work once you know what you have to do. If you hire a construction company to do "recording studio" sound isolation work, they're going to charge a premium and it's going to eat into your budget. I know you'd rather spend that money on some slick gear, so if it's at all possible to do the construction work yourself, do it.
Yosemite OS
Old 05-25-2002, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Advice on Building a studio

Also for a quick look, do a Google search for "building home studio" or something, and it should turn up at least several sites. In addition, go to the Mix, Musicplayer and ProRec forums and do a search there, and for articles from the magazines' sites, they should have a number of articles and resources to help you. I'm too lazy right now (kidding, busy) but if nothing decent comes up in your own search I could do one or someone else could. This is a really helpful bunch here. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]