Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Default With HDN do hardware inserts stay active when LLM is on?

I'm aware that plugins and sends are inactive when LLM is on with HDN, but what happens to hardware inserts?

Since HDN supports true hardware inserts the same way TDM and HDX do, do they stay active with LLM enabled with HD Native?

Related, what happens to HEAT in HDN with LLM enabled?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Re: With HDN do hardware inserts stay active when LLM is on?

All sends and inserts are made inactive with LLM on any record-enabled track. Personally, having used PT for 10+ years and HD/Native for 2, I have never had a need for LLM, even when tracking 6 piece bands while providing 5 stereo headphone mixes from the sessions.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 AM

Thanks. I'm a little surprised that hardware inserts are bypassed.

I hear you. I tried HDN when PT11 came out and found it less than satisfactory latency-wise at 44 vs our HD4 systems. However, I'm now reconsidering a switch to HDN and 96kHz instead, for latency benefit. PT12 has really brought some nice options forward.

HDN at 96 will be a similar latency to TDM at 44, as long as I stay at a buffer of 64. That's the biggest dilemma. If I have to increase the buffer it's much higher latency than TDM and gets difficult for some vocalists due to the comb filtering phenomenon.

With the freeze and commit options now I should be able to work around it, though, for those times when I have to do a late project overdub.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:59 AM

I would definitely move up from 44.1, but for me(and many here), 48K is fine. Audio for video usually is 48K anyway so that can save conversion(if it matters) 96K can really hammer the computer, but if yours is up to the task, then go for it. I've been tracking live bands on HDN at the 64 buffer while sending 5 stereo headphone mixes from the session and rarely hear a peep about latency(but I am careful to not use any plugins with latency while tracking). I have only recently added the facility to do hardware inserts and have yet to try tracking with any in place(so far, outboard gear has been patched to the incoming signal).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would definitely move up from 44.1, but for me(and many here), 48K is fine. Audio for video usually is 48K anyway so that can save conversion(if it matters) 96K can really hammer the computer, but if yours is up to the task, then go for it. I've been tracking live bands on HDN at the 64 buffer while sending 5 stereo headphone mixes from the session and rarely hear a peep about latency(but I am careful to not use any plugins with latency while tracking). I have only recently added the facility to do hardware inserts and have yet to try tracking with any in place(so far, outboard gear has been patched to the incoming signal).
You could do that back in the day on an old computer and a 002 via FireWire. It's the news to track through plugins and through inserted outboard devices so the challenge.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 07-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Default With HDN do hardware inserts stay active when LLM is on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
I hear you. I tried HDN when PT11 came out and found it less than satisfactory latency-wise at 44 vs our HD4 systems.......However, I'm now reconsidering a switch to HDN and 96kHz instead, for latency benefit. PT12 has really brought some nice options forward.

Yeah I bet, HDN can't compare or beat TDM for latency....

I usually track everything at 44.1 as Dave said...96k is a killa on CPU and makes me push my buffer up too high. (And it uses 2x of those sharks too!)

44.1 is good and I can ride it low (buffers) for just this if needed

HDN it isn't TDM or HDX but it's better than FW
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.