Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Default Upgrading from 11 to 12 with a student discount?

Just wondering how that scenario works since every things going over to subscription.

Right now I have Pro Tools 10+11 with the student discount. I was wondering how upgrading to 12 worked? Am I able to do it with a discount or is everything just a flat subscription now?

Edit: After doing some more reading I'm wondering if I even need Pro Tools 12? Im a student using Pro Tools exclusively for In the Box production, the cloud won't be of much use to me. Seems like I already have everything I need with Pro Tools 11 without having to pay an ongoing fee? Track freeze would be nice but I wouldn't want to add a continuous fee just for track freeze.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:05 PM
Avid

Default Re: Upgrading from 11 to 12 with a student discount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
Just wondering how that scenario works since every things going over to subscription.
Subscription is being added as an alternative. We are continuing to sell 'perpetual' licenses as we have been doing all along.

Quote:
Right now I have Pro Tools 10+11 with the student discount. I was wondering how upgrading to 12 worked? Am I able to do it with a discount or is everything just a flat subscription now?
The EDU section of the FAQ should cover this:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...2014-Offer-FAQ

Regards,
JC
Old 02-10-2015, 05:42 PM

The bigger question is if a student decides not to pay the 99.00 upgrade to 12 before 13 comes out, how much would it be to upgrade from 11 to 13?

There is "NOTHING" in 12 that "ANYBODY" wants. I own both HD 10/11 and the Education version of native 10/11. I have no intentions of paying 99.00 for nothing that 12 is. If I don't upgrade right now, does that limit me from ever upgrading in the future. Or do I have to pay 198.00 (99.00x2) at some point to go from 11 to 13? Or, even worse, am I out of luck if I don't upgrade from 11 to 12 before 13 comes out?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-11-2015, 03:36 AM

I bought PT10 in 2012 with the student discount. It is supposed to have 4 years of free updates/upgrades. In 2013 I received PT11 for free ... I'm I going to get also my PT12 for free when it is released?
Old 02-14-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
I bought PT10 in 2012 with the student discount. It is supposed to have 4 years of free updates/upgrades. In 2013 I received PT11 for free ... I'm I going to get also my PT12 for free when it is released?
I would read your EULA very carefully...
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Depending on when you registered your product in 2012.

Ex: You bought Pro Tools 10 on January 1, 2012 and registered it that very same day. In theory, your 4 years of free UPGRADES would end on January 1, 2016 (Given that my math is correct). So from what I can see you should still be eligible until January 1, 2016. Of course your personal date of registration (NOT the date bought) will determine whether or not you are still fall within your 4 years
Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The EDU section of the FAQ should cover this:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/F...2014-Offer-FAQ

Regards,
JC
This link in the EDU FAQ explicitly says that Avid WILL still honor the 4 year of free upgrades as long as you STILL fall within your 4 years

Q: I purchased an older Academic version of Pro Tools with 4-years of no cost upgrades, what happens now?
A: If you fall within the 4-year free upgrade window, you will continue to receive upgrades at no cost until your 4-year period is over.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:19 PM

That link to the EDU FAQ is no longer working. I have the same deal, but can't figure out how to get my upgrade to 12. It doesn't show up anywhere in my account. Has anyone done this yet?
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM

Guys,

There are already multiple threads in the DUC regarding student upgrades to Pro Tools 12, both at the top of this section and in the Licensing section of the forum.

But, anyway, here we go again.

There are two elements to the process.

1) If you are entitled to a free upgrade to Pro Tools 12 because you bought a student copy with four years of free upgrades, you should have already had that upgrade. But many people, for some reason, didn't get it automatically. Those other threads include input from lots of students who didn't get it automatically.

But Avid (usually Jeffro) checks those threads to see if anyone else is posting that they've never had the update, and he then usually gets that sorted out. He might pick it up here, but I suggest you post in one of the main threads …. best one is the sticky thread at the top of this section of the forum.

Now there is a second issue you need to be aware of, assuming you get your Pro Tools 12 free upgrade sorted out.

If your four years runs out before the end of 2015, and if you want to stay current with Pro Tools, you'll have to buy an update plan before the end of 2015. [admin note: That is not correct]

If you buy that update plan before the end of 2015, it will cover you to receive all updates for one year and it will cost $99. But if you leave it until after the end of the year, the update plan cost will be $299. When renewal time comes, either way, it will be $99.

So there is a $200 penalty for not buying a plan to stay current by the end of 2015.

If, however, your four years does not run out until sometime in 2016, or even into early 2017, depending on when you activated it, you have a different problem to deal with.

The issue is this …. you are entitled to four years of free upgrades, but if you stick with that until the four years is up, then you are in the $299 upgrade cost timeline, not the $99 upgrade cost timeline, which is pretty unfair. So I had a support case a while back to try and get this sorted.

The resolution is this … Avid will look at each case on its merits, and you need to start a free support case to get it sorted out.

Basically, if your case is sound, you will receive a support plan for free, to cover you until your four years is up. Then you will only have to pay $99 for the plan renewal like everyone else, not the $299 penalty because you waited until your four hearts was up to buy a plan.

In my case, the four years was due to run out in September 2016. When it was sorted out for me, they just gave me a full one year year plan, so I actually gained several weeks, because this was done mid October.

I don't know if they will give you a plan worth a sooner expiry date or what, that's where 'each case will be looked at on its merits' comes in. For instance, if your four years runs out on Jan 5th 2016, they'll probably just suggest you buy the $99 five days early, no big deal.

But if you've got significant time left on your four years, you need to make sure they sort you out properly, or you'll be paying a high price later.

After my case was sorted out, I asked the Avid Customer Care guy I'd been dealing with if it was ok to publish details of my case on the DUC to help other people in similar situations. If you go to those other threads I've mentioned, you'll find chapter and verse regarding my case.

But, to cut to the chase, here is the reply I got from Avid providing a link to the page that should be used for starting a free support case to get things sorted out …. (but this will only be worth doing if your four years does not run out until well into 2016 or beyond ….

…………………………………………………..

Hi Nigel,

No worries at all.

The best way to create a registration / licensing request (with no charge) is on this page:
http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation

This isn't an easy page to find on your own, but we've always offered free assistance with these 'admin' type issues.

If they provide details such as registered email address, Avid account email (if different) as well as relevant details in the case description that would be most helpful.

Best regards,

(I've removed his name)
Avid Customer Care

………………………………………………….

So guys, if this applies to you regarding your four years expiry date, get your support case started.

And please come back and tell us if/when your case is resolved.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 PM

Bumping this thread because I made it a year ago and im still on pro tools 11 EDU version.

Should I have gotten a free upgrade I didnt act on?