Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 AM

Default PT8 LE w/Ableton Live 7

I just installed ProTools 8 LE on my Fujitsu Core Duo laptop, it is T5750 processor running 2Ghz with 3GB of RAM running Vista 32. It is much more of a machine than the XP desktop I was running PT LE 7.3 on. I am using the MBox 1.

I have created a ProTools account in Vista and implemented all of the recommended performance tweaks. Basically I have this thing stripped all the way down, wireless disabled, startup programs disabled, no Aero, it's running lean man.

The main trouble area for me is playing back a 8 track ProTools recording with Ableton Live 7 running as a rewire plugin. I find that if I eliminate Ableton, the recordings play back ok. I'm very disappointed in the performance limitations given the fact that I have a powerful enough computer to run this on. On my XP desktop I could rewire Ableton and PT with no problem, in fact, I rarely ever exported my drum loops as a track in PT.

The other problem is, I had the mBox plugged into a 4 port USB 2.0 hub when I installed my software. I thought if I plugged the mbox directly into a port on the laptop it might help solve this problem, however, upon startup, Vista prompts me for the driver for the mbox, and it does not find a driver. Seems the mBox must be plugged into the exact port it was originally plugged into. This seems weird.

I would appreciate any feedback or opinions on this. Having just paid $149 for this upgrade, my expectation was to be able to do all of my ProTools work on this new laptop, but it is not panning out that way.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Re: PT8 LE w/Ableton Live 7

Having a powerful computer and having a computer that is compatible with Pro Tools are two (very) different things. Please read the General Troubleshooting and Help Us Help You stickies and, if nothing there helps, post a Sandra or PC Wizard report and a Plug-in Version Report. (You did upgrade/update ALL of your plug-ins when you moved to v8.0, yes?)

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 PM

Yeah, I finally gave up on this and am back on my old clunky PC. I am considering trying to install my copy of PT 8 on it since I paid for the upgrade.

A friend thought it might be because the 2nd internal drive is a 500GB 5400 RPM laptop drive, not fast enough. I would get about 10 seconds into a song and get really loud static sounds and it would skip parts when it wasn't hissing disapprovingly at me.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 AM

5400 RPM Drive for Audio = UNSUPPORTED

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction