Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Fine Adjustment 12.6 = Showstopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
At least for me this new "feature" ruins the editing speed of PT and will make it impossible for me to update.
+1
Old 09-29-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Short cut changes - how to clear a volume node PT 12.6

Hi there. I was used to using command/option to remove volume nodes while mixing on the edit window - did it all the time. That option appears to have gone away with PT12.6. Anyone know how to do this with the new version?

Thx,
David
Old 09-29-2016, 10:29 AM

Please, put it back the way it was. While Shift is directly above Ctrl, so it would seem not to be that big of an issue as you can cover both keys with one finger, you have to remember to hold down Shift BEFORE you hold down Ctrl or you get snap to grid happening.

Whose brilliant idea was this? I thought Avid was starting to "listen to their customers"? Who did they listen to on this? Not anyone who actually uses Pro Tools apparently.

Maybe if we all start support cases about this "feature" they'll get tired of us and revert it back - or at least give us an option in Preferences to have the old behavior rather than the new.

I can dream can't I?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM

Default Major, Unwanted Change In PT 12.6...

Be aware of this. If you use Clip Gain or do MIDI editing, this, supposed, improvement in Pro Tools workflow in 12.6 is going to really, significantly affect you.

I can't think of one person who would have asked for this.

Can we please have an option in Preferences to turn this "feature" off so we can have the old, normal, fine tuning behavior?
SonoBus
Old 09-29-2016, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Short cut changes - how to clear a volume node PT 12.6

Have a look at this thread. It may explain what's happening.
SonoBus
Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Short cut changes - how to clear a volume node PT 12.6

Thx - and just figured it out - it's now FN/Option click to remove a node - what a pain... been using that shortcut since '00 for post audio and music - ah well - I'll adjust... seems a few other things have changed slightly too... not sure why...
Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan View Post
disclaimer: Please don't take the following personally. It's feedback only and not in anyway an invalidation of all the hard work done at hq.

for who, and what part of editing in pro tools? Were common use case scenerios for midi cc editing surveyed and also considered before development of these new enhancements, or was audio editing for post the only focus with midi cc editing not even considered?

Common use case editing scenarios for midi cc in both instrument and midi tracks couldn't have been taken into consideration during development of this new change, hence the midi side of pt doesn't actually improve with this release, but gets more long winded and difficult to work with(and not just the fine control change). Most midi cc editing is going to have a different focus and purpose than the breakpoint editing in audio tracks.

If it takes the above to explain the new change, then it's far from being user friendly in my honest opinion. Ctrl+shift on a midi cc breakpoint in slip mode use to do constrained vertical fine control. Now it snaps the breakpoint to the nearest grid line quite randomly. Please don't take this personally. It's only feedback codified from using common midi cc use case scenarios. there are others i can go into if you like. Basstian covered one of many on the audio side above as it relates to post. The new change is not an improvement as it adds extra midi cc editing steps, hence extra time. Direct a to b is the ideal that should be strived for. If a midi composer has to orchestrate 50+ cues for a project and can save even just 5 minutes of long winded procedural editing per cue, that's 4 hours of time saved! New enhancements should be helping us get our work done faster, not adding extra time. When you develop new enhancements for audio, please, please, consider how it's going to impact the midi side of pt also. Not everything is going to be 100% usable one to one from audio tracks to instrument/midi tracks.

is avid going to revert it back to the old behavior, find another solution, or do we have to live with this new change that no one asked for en masse?

My vote is to revert it back.

Shane
+1000000
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Here's a kluge:

Set the Grid to 1 sample. Now the node will only move 1 sample when you just use CTRL. The only problem is, to get the .1 db fine tuning, you still have to use Shift as well as Ctrl. At least with this kluge, you don't have to remember to hold down Shift before you hold down Ctrl.

Not ideal, but an easy work around until - yeah right - Avid come to their senses and, since I'm sure they won't be changing it back, at least give us an option to revert to the old behavior in Preferences. <sigh>
SonoBus
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Major, Unwanted Change In PT 12.6...

Here's a kluge:

Set the Grid to 1 sample. Now the node will only move 1 sample when you just use CTRL. The only problem is, to get the .1 db fine tuning, you still have to use Shift as well as Ctrl. At least with this kluge, you don't have to remember to hold down Shift before you hold down Ctrl.

Not ideal, but an easy work around until - yeah right - Avid come to their senses and, since I'm sure they won't be changing it back, at least give us an option to revert to the old behavior in Preferences. <sigh>
SonoBus
Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Major, Unwanted Change In PT 12.6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Here's a kluge:

The reason is to make working in grid or slip identical. Hold down Cntrl to swap it from that "method" to the "other" while staying in the same mode. Shift is the inclusion to give it fine control. It seems much more locical to me this way as both modes are now the same, unless I miss what you are saying.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10