Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Dedicated computer for Pro Tools?

Thanks for letting me slide, I don't have a hall pass either.

Best resource around here is the i7 build thread. As long as no one tried to read it from the beginning.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
[...] then the person I replied to implied that harmonics affecting computers is BS.
I also mentioned how, despite my age and experience, I am so often wrong! I keep getting better and better at that, probably because I get so much practice.

I know that any sine wave generates harmonics, but I've never heard of transmission frequency harmonics on the mains being a problem. I can't remember it ever having come up as an issue in my lifetime experience.

I'm not contradicting or doubting you, just explaining how I came to the response I did.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:37 PM

Understood, just adding info is all.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:24 AM

I have some experience with this. The switching power supplies in most electronics equipment distort the power mains waveform. This is true for BOTH desktops and laptops. Unplugged laptops still use a switching supply to get all of the required voltages from the battery. The reason is that these supplies are more efficient than analog voltage regulator supplies.

Although the distorted waveform has some very real problems, deterioration of the audio is usually not one of them. It is just a different kind of hum.....more like a buzz. If your studio doesn't have hum problems, the distorted waveform won't cause audio problems. If it does, traditional grounding and shielding are the remedy.

The problem with this distortion is a limitation in the current capacity of the neutral wires. Usually currents partially cancel out from the various phases in the neutral but with distorted waveforms, they don't. If this becomes a capacity problem for you, the traditional remedy is to have your electrician double the neutrals. This does work and may be the most economical solution. There are better approaches.

In 1996, I built a plant (television) with about 30% excess electrical capacity. By 2002, expansion had just about limited the current capacity of the service. The 3 individual phases were still ok, but the neutral was at it's limit. Adding additional service would have been very expensive. Instead, I installed a filter. Here is a link to the company that provided the equipment.....

http://harmonicslimited.com/

This was a completely successful and cost effective project. Not only did the filter make an expensive addition unnecessary but electric bills were lower.

Again, though, let me emphasize that even with the filter, these harmonics are still present in the plant wiring and inside the electronics equipment. The filter only reduces them at the point of interface with the electric company. If you do notice an improvement when running on a lap top....that's very possible BUT it means that there is something inadequate with your grounding/shielding. Running on a laptop is a band-aid. Go fix the real problem.

Edit Room: Pro Tools 8LE 8.0.5, Windows 10, HP Z400 Xeon 6 core 12 GB DDR3, Eleven R, UAD 2 PCIe card

Both systems old & previously Avid qualified
Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM

I prefer dedicated computer, no internet connection (unless you have absolutely no other choice), And a decent external hard drive like a Glyph or likewise.
It could work many ways, but it really depends on how serious about the music part you are. If it is just for fun, then put it on the existing pc, but still get the external HD. Save and copy everything you do in case there is a crash.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Dedicated comoputer for Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
as a person that works in a well known LA studio complex with SSL 9Ks, you don't know anything
This^
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Vienna Ensemble Pro 7
Icon D-Command

HD Omni
192 Analog I/O 8 in/8 out/Digtal I/O
192 Analog I/O 8 in/Digital I/O
Two 192 Digital I/O
Apogee Rosetta 800, AD16X & DA16X (All wth X-HD cards)
Antelope Zen Studio+ Thunderbolt

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.3

Gigabyte z390 Designare
I9 990K 4.7 GHz
64 Gb of DDR4 3200
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
MacOS 10.14.5 Mojave

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4 GHz
32 GB of DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 760 Video Card
OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra & Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Dynaudio BM5 Mk III
B&W 604 s2
800W 15" Ported Subs
McIntosh MC-7106 Bridged ~ B&W
Hafler P7000 "Diablo" ~ Subs
Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic intent View Post
I prefer dedicated computer, no internet connection
+1 I agree. In the past, this was debatable. BUT when we get to the point that PT runs on Windows 10, it will become very important. Mister Softee intends to roll out frequent updates that may break PT. You want to be in control of when those updates hit so that they don't happen in the middle of a project.

Edit Room: Pro Tools 8LE 8.0.5, Windows 10, HP Z400 Xeon 6 core 12 GB DDR3, Eleven R, UAD 2 PCIe card

Both systems old & previously Avid qualified
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 PM

Why is it that I suspect so many of you spend more time on these forums than you do actually using Pro Tools? Shame on you. Get back to work!

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 09-09-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
Why pull you down? Because you are spreading misinformation and touting your academic credentials at the same time, implying that what you say is fact when it is not. Thats why. Now if you have some actual PROOF of this, then lets see it and discuss, otherwise.......
It was tested in my course harmonics and it deteriorates the audio. The tests were using an old computer, an stabilizer and a nobreak. I can see with my eyes the nobreak creating square waves and the computer generating high harmonics levels. My ex-professor created an innovative machine that neutralizes the electricity called Powerline Audiofilo (Audiophile) and it costs R$4500,00 here in Brazil. What about that?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzinho View Post
...8 GB of RAM is sufficient and a laptop using an i7, even dual-core should be ok for you...
He's also wrong in telling the OP that the Dual Core will be fine, when in fact it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Pro Tools 12 on Windows.

I have Core 2 Quad processor (considered old by today's standards) that crashes 12 at random when CPU load gets close to 60%. Reason? Processor doesn't meet MSR!

So, as many have already mentioned, this is bad information and is not worth considering in this thread.