Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Re: FCP \"bug\" to watch out for...

Potential fix other than you suggested: The final cut editor can import audio files two different ways:. 1) using import from the menu or 2) dragging the file into their FCP session. Tell the editor if he's having problems to try to use File -> IMPORT audio vs. "dragging from a browser window." I've seen this work once before troubleshooting with an editor with PAL or HD audio issues.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Default Re: FCP "bug" to watch out for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by berk View Post
i don't think that metadata is being changed after importing.

yesterday, I captured a PAL material and forgot to change the capture setting back to NTSC. Then I imported a NTSC Bwav file. noticed the the green line. the sync was all over the place.
After changing the capture setting, re-importing the file solved it.

berk

PS: FCP 6.04
According to Apple this behaviour WAS changed with 6.04... so that's SOME good news... having them FIX IT would be better... along with the annoying OMF 24/23.98 bug...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonsey View Post
along with the annoying OMF 24/23.98 bug...
What OMF 24/23.98 bug are you referring to?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:25 AM

The fact then when you export and OMF at 23.98 from FCP, it wrongly is read as a 24fps OMF, even though it's NOT... Simply changing the framerate of the session corrects the problem, but it's still a PITA...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
What OMF 24/23.98 bug are you referring to?
Yo CJ...WD here. This is the bug I thought we discussed once at TDS where the FCP 23.976 OMF will report itself as 24 frames when you launch Digitranslator, even thought the pix dept is cutting and exporting in 23.976. My workaround is to make sure the pix eds start their OMF exactly as my session template...say 58:30 and give me a 2 pop and tail pop as a confirmation. Since adopting this workflow I have had no probs on our "Everybody Hates Chris" OMF's. Importing it into my 23.976 templates in this manner makes them dead sync. If the session starts are not the same as was the case for a season then the 2 pop saves the day. Just move everything to that 2 pop start point and voila, sync. I did discuss this at AES with Gordon L. and sent him a screen grab of DigiTrans reporting the 24 frames...haven't heard back. I also brought it to Apple's attention when they visited EHC post at Paramount, but I think Digi and Apple should be finding out a real solution to fix the false reporting.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
Yo CJ...WD here. This is the bug I thought we discussed once at TDS where the FCP 23.976 OMF will report itself as 24 frames when you launch Digitranslator, even thought the pix dept is cutting and exporting in 23.976. My workaround is to make sure the pix eds start their OMF exactly as my session template...say 58:30 and give me a 2 pop and tail pop as a confirmation. Since adopting this workflow I have had no probs on our "Everybody Hates Chris" OMF's. Importing it into my 23.976 templates in this manner makes them dead sync. If the session starts are not the same as was the case for a season then the 2 pop saves the day. Just move everything to that 2 pop start point and voila, sync. I did discuss this at AES with Gordon L. and sent him a screen grab of DigiTrans reporting the 24 frames...haven't heard back. I also brought it to Apple's attention when they visited EHC post at Paramount, but I think Digi and Apple should be finding out a real solution to fix the false reporting.
Wilson, I think you win the award for most acronyms in a single post.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmongoose View Post
Wilson, I think you win the award for most acronyms in a single post.
HA!!! You know me, it's much easier to use letters instead of actual words... it's all about the workflow and saving time and keystrokes, and hey this was one of my shorter posts!. Now back to trying to scrounge up a good deal on Strike...

WD

see no acronyms!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Has anyone tried using Dumpster (second from the top) for this type of a situation? The program changes the way that quicktime looks at and plays plays a file. We have used it on a few occasions when we needed to deal with frame-rate issues. Anybody else tried this?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:56 AM

Hi

i have discovered something while conforming a project by Titan (at least i thought i was on something)

i had this 23.976 DVCPro HD project that was cut in FCP and then i received the EDLs. followed the usual worklflow with Titan.

i realized the project Titan created was a true 24fps PT project eventhough 23.976fps is choosen in Titan. the red light on video track in PT was on after importing 23.976 video.
session information confirmed that.

apparently FCP stamps the 23.976fps projects as 24fps on EDL exports.

just wanted to let you know
u might know already
Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 AM

seen this same thing happen in non-24 frame rates ..

happens with 29.97 NDF and DF ...

does not happen in FCP ver 5 .. only 6 so far ...

cheers

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro