Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Have PT 11, how to install PT 10?

I can only recommend my interface (in signature). Look at other signatures.
Totally depends on your budget : http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/pr...interfaces.php .
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPilot View Post
10.3.8 and 11.0.1

We intend to use PT for editing broadcast audio. No MIDI at all, and no recording with PT. All audio is BWF files imported from other sources. We need audio output only for the speakers and headphones on the editing computer. When we asked the vendor what output hardware was required, they specified a Creative sound card. It did not work.

We sent it back and are using the systemboard's built-in Realtek sound. We still think that there should be a better way, but the vendor has not been useful. Any recommendations?
If all you're doing is editing audio with no MIDI or recording, for your purposes there are better alternatives. You're on Windows and one of the premier sound editing programs is Sony Soundforge. Have used it for years and it can do a lot. Another good one that I've not used is Steinberg Wavelab. Both programs support vst plugins and if you have the vst version of Vinyl installed it should integrate into either program. Sound Forge 11 comes with several Izotope plugins and processes.

Creative SoundBlaster is nothing more than a gamer soundcard. Not recommended for real audio work. Ditto for the onboard Realtek. As to what's good that depends on your budget. MOTU makes some good stuff that won't break the bank. Recommendations are also hard to make not knowing what I/O ports you have on your computer (USB, Firewire, etc.) as not every interface has every connection port. Not too many people make good internal soundcards anymore, especially if you're looking at budget solutions.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 AM

I should have talked to you BEFORE we fell for the PT hype.

Time for Plan B . . .

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Found someone at Sweetwater who recognized the problem. It may be that installing 10 after 11 caused a critical file to be stepped on. Solution is to install 10 first, then 11. We're getting a USB box for output; this may cure the silent PT 10 problem.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I should have talked to you BEFORE we fell for the PT hype.

Time for Plan B . . .

Thanks.
Quote:
Found someone at Sweetwater who recognized the problem. It may be that installing 10 after 11 caused a critical file to be stepped on. Solution is to install 10 first, then 11. We're getting a USB box for output; this may cure the silent PT 10 problem.

Thanks for the help.
PT is a great program but it's not the greatest for just editing audio. Sometimes a purpose-built tool does the job better and cheaper, that's all.

Weird that the install of PT10 after 11 would cause a problem. What USB interface are you getting?

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM

The way the sales engineer explained it, a particular file gets trashed if 10 is installed after 11. After removing 11 and fiddling with some settings, I got 10 to make real sounds. Even so, we're not going to rely on the computer's built-in audio hardware.

We may put 11 back on this computer . . . and we may not, at least, not right away.

The USB I/O is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The way the sales engineer explained it, a particular file gets trashed if 10 is installed after 11. After removing 11 and fiddling with some settings, I got 10 to make real sounds. Even so, we're not going to rely on the computer's built-in audio hardware.

We may put 11 back on this computer . . . and we may not, at least, not right away.

The USB I/O is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
That should work just fine for your purposes.
I think I understand now about the install sequence. PT10 and 11 share some of the same folders, at least on a Mac. The aax plugins folder for one and I think there are others shared as well.

QAPLA!