Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-1998, 02:39 AM

Default Re: NuBus support with 2.1

Obsolete or not, my Nubus system works (mostly), and a PCI system would not meet my needs. Look, you can put all the features of SDII into ProTools but it'll still be ProTools, a multitrack application that I'm unfamiliar with. I have no interest in using or paying for mor than two tracks on my computer (as the man said, my analog tape machines are backward and forward compatible). I certainly have no interest in abandoning my $800 Waves TDM bundle just so I can abandon my $500 AMII card and my $450 7100 to replace them with an AMIII and a 9600 that won't let me run plug-ins on SDII. But that leaves me burning 2x disks on my 4x CDR400 that I pray doesn't die because I won't be able to replace it. I recently read a digi support person's mention of the thousands of Nubus digi users, which surprised me because I didn't think there were that many of us anymore. Sounds to me like abandoning software that's almost ready to be released but has several years worth of reputation and an installed user base would be a little foolish. If making MLCD updates Nubus compatible would require a separate application then why not split it in half and make everybody happy?

You know, it's funny that SDII and Deck II both got abandoned exactly at the moment when all the two companies had to do was compare notes once and both programs would have been ready to take over the market.
Old 10-02-1998, 03:33 PM

Danny,
2 years ago would have been a disastrous time for me to change to PCI - I'd have lost vital functionality with SDII + plugins! I'm very glad I stayed with NuBus, just sorry I won't get any further software development.
I don't believe there's a cat in hell's chance of Digi doing any bug-fixes on previous (NuBus-compatible) versions - are they remotely interested in enabling NuBus users to stay as they are???
Old 10-02-1998, 04:42 PM

Danny Caccavo Wrote:

"FWIW, PCI was with us "just over two years ago"....wasn't a great time to invest in nubus hardware.."

And It looks like It wasn't a good idea to upgrade to PCI then to PT24 and now no upgrade for PT24 to MIX

Looks like Us NuBusers are sittin' pretty if we want to upgrade to a Real ProTools card and not upgrade every two seconds.