Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2006, 08:59 PM

Default New Mojo SDI

Has anyone seen this for PT, yet?

Avid Mojo SDI

We're looking at the Mojo to replace our AVXL (as we move up to PT 7.x). We'd really like to work with our in-house video bays as they move up to HD. From what I can gather, though, the vanilla Mojo only works with SD, while the new Mojo SDI will deal with HD (particularly the DNxHD flavor our videos guys are favoring).

It looks perfect for our needs. Anyone know of a PT release or version? Dare I guess it will coincide with PT7.2?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Re: New Mojo SDI

It looks to me like Mojo SDI is standard def only. It does provide SDI and AES digital interfaces, though, which is a big deal. It would allow digital audio conforming, with Avid Express Pro, without having to fall into the MediaStation PT trap, and I missed AVXL's SDI input option. It would be cool if Digi would support the embedded SDI audio.

I think Avid should have released this years ago, the standard def craze has pretty much passed.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 AM

Yes the new Mojo will deal with HD, but you will get a downconverted SDI SD video into AXPro. Its still offline, and HD video will have to be uprezzed in a HD Nitris box.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 AM

Yes the new Mojo will deal with HD, but you will get a downconverted SDI SD video into AXPro. Its still offline, and HD video will have to be uprezzed in a HD Nitris box.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 AM

This is snipped from the press release for Mojo SDI:

SDI video I/O – supplies improved quality and flexibility via uncompressed SD digital video I/O in addition to component, S-video, and composite I/O, and FireWire. This provides the highest-quality monitoring as well as full capture and digital cut support to mastering-quality SD decks;

It sounds like SD only to me! There are two type of SDI data streams. One is SD, the other is a much higher bandwidth HD version. I am thinking MojoSDI only supports the lower bandwidth type. Do you know something different?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 AM

The new Mojo SDI will handle the HDV, DVCPRO HD, Avid DNxHD formats and of course uncompressed SD. It will handle the full eight channels of embedded audio or four channels of AES or S/PDIF. I think it's going to be the same price as the old one, $2,500.00.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The new Mojo SDI will handle the HDV, DVCPRO HD, Avid DNxHD formats and of course uncompressed SD.
That's exactly what I'm after. Of course, all my monitors are SD for the time being. So does it matter what the media is?

What I am trying to do is make it easier for my video guys to send a sequence to us to mix to. They (and I) simply want to create a linked OMF, from which I will import into my PT session via LanShare. They want to use the DNxHD and DVCPro HD flavors of HD. The SDI and AES inputs don't mean a lot in our workflow, but they would be nice.

With this new Mojo, can they avoid having to create a new SD mixdown at DV25 for us? I'm assuming this new device will take the HD feed, and spit out SD for my monitors, right?

Then, assuming (again with the assuming!) it will function how we want, can it simply replace the original Mojo without fanfare and updates? Maybe it's part of the the upcoming Avid Picture HD for ProTools 7.2 that was announced at NAB?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 AM

Okay, if you say so, but that is NOT what I read. I read that Express Pro software will handle some file-based HD resolutions and you can see and edit them with your computer's graphic card, but NOWHERE do I read anything that says the Mojo SDI can ingest or output anything except standard def. To be honest, I don't recall reading that you would be able to see those HD pictures through the MojoSDI at all! If you went to NAB and saw something else, then I defer to you. All I know is what I've read on Avid's site.

To assume that Pro Tools will offer the same picture support as Avid Express Pro is a stretch! I would not make a financial choice with that assumption.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 PM

What will be coming for Pro Tools 7.2 and Mojo, will be a "Virtual VTR" type solution that will enable a Pro Tools session to access and play Avid sequences directly, from an additional computer utilizing bidirectional control, without having to render effects or to import AAF files. This will allow the playback of Avid DNxHD picture without incurring a hit in audio performance or track counts in Pro Tools. Pro Tools 7.2, in addition to the updates for Avid systems like the "Send to Pro Tools" feature, will greatly improve the workflow between picture editorial and audio post. The improvements that are coming are sorely needed and should make everyone's lives a little easier, hopefully. As far as down-converting the HD stream to SD for the analog outputs, I don't know that yet. The first issue that comes to mind is, does the Mojo letterbox the output or anamorphically squeeze it? I'll try to find out.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:19 PM

I was at NAB. I've got some info on MOJO|SDI.

MOJO|SDI will not playback 720p or 1080i. We have to wait for "Satellite" for that (I think this is the "Virtual VTR" that filmixer is referring to). As for Pro Tools being able to capture audio over the SDI connection..."me too". Perhaps the coolest thing about MOJO|SDI isn't related to video at all. MOJO|SDI, when used with AVID software, will not hog the firewire bus like MOJO does. If I type anything else, I will be biting the hand that feeds me.