Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Mojo and FCP OMF?

I have been mostly doing commercial spots with Canopus for video monitor.
These have been from FCP via OMF (with a 2 pop) and bounce back to FCP.
Easy, no problems.

It looks like the production co I do most of my work for is going to be doing some long form projects this year.
Possibly a series and an indi feature.
I will most likely be given the series to post and will most likely do much of the feature with the exception of the final re recording mix will will be passed off to a dub stage. (not sure of details yet)

For the series, will the Canopus be reliable enough for sync if I am just bouncing back to FCP?
Will editing dialog and pre dubs for the feature be a problem with the Canopus?

Can I still be able to import OMFs from FCP into Mojo or....a little confused here....FCP>OMF >PT>Mojo>???

Knowing the production co, they will want to import back to FCP.
There has also been talk of moving into their building and networking our suites.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Mojo and FCP OMF?

Let me rephrase the questions:

1. Is the ADVC-100 too inaccurate for long form post. (FCP > OMF/QT > PT > BTD > FCP)

2. What would be the workflow with Mojo from FCP? OMF & QT or can FCP export direct to Mojo and back to FCP?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
1. Is the ADVC-100 too inaccurate for long form post. (FCP > OMF/QT > PT > BTD > FCP)
If you are making lip sync and effects placement judgements, I think any DV movie/firewire solution is not accurate enough. If you already have known-good sync, and/or can accept a bit of rubberiness in what you see you'll be fine.

Quote:
2. What would be the workflow with Mojo from FCP? OMF & QT or can FCP export direct to Mojo and back to FCP?
This is a bit of sticky wickett. Currently, there are only two ways to get picture from FCP into PTw/MOJO. Output to video tape and digitize with 6.9.2, OR, import a Quicktime movie (DV stream works pretty well) into Avid Express Pro and export an AAF or OMF sequence for PT inport and play through the MOJO. Audio you can grab as an OMF export directly from FCP. Eventually, very soon they say, Avid Media Station/PT will replace Express Pro and do the same thing. It is also supposed to be the new conform tool.

I've been afraid to upgrade to PT6.9.2, because I'm not yet willing to let go of Avid Express Pro. Does anyone know if Express Pro 4.6.1 still works with PT6.9.2? I've been too wimpy to delve in and find out.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
If you are making lip sync and effects placement judgements, I think any DV movie/firewire solution is not accurate enough. If you already have known-good sync, and/or can accept a bit of rubberiness in what you see you'll be fine.
If I am in grid=1 frame and drop the cursor, nudge or scrub, will that be accurate? Or would I have to confirm with an EDL?

But it sounds like I may need Mojo...at least.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:55 PM

I think you know the answer to your own question! When you are stopped, with picture freeze framed, the picture and timeline are in perfect sync. Any other time....well, let's just say I prefer to have solid picture playback with Mojo because it eliminates the synchronization inconsistencies I experienced with firewire.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Avid

Hi Richard,

Pro Tools 6.9.2 for OS 10.4 does not support Mojo. You'll want to use 6.9 with OS 10.3.8 for the time being until Media Station|PT is released.

-Jordan
Old 05-31-2005, 03:49 PM

Hi Jordan! Thanks for the info. Perhaps I was confused by the following statement,

"Pro Tools TDM 6.9.2 software supports the Avid Mojo® interface on Mac OS X 10.4. However, the Avid Media Station|PT companion application is not yet compatible with Mac OS X 10.4. Avid Media Station|PT 1.6.1, which will be released soon along with Pro Tools TDM 6.9.1 software, will introduce Mac OS X support for Media Station|PT on Mac OS X 10.3.8. A future software release of Media Station|PT will add compatibility for Mac OS X 10.4."

Quoted from this compatability doc.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Avid

Whoops, sorry about that. The compatability doc is correct.

-Jordan
Old 06-01-2005, 12:32 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, Jordan. Do you know if Express Pro 4.6.1 will run with 6.9.2 (or any version other than 6.6). Until Media Station/PT is released, we are using ExPro for conversions.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Avid

Avid doesn't have a version that supports OS 10.4 yet. Your best bet will be to run Pro Tools 6.9.1 with Media Station|PT 1.6.1 on OS 10.3.x. These should be available shortly.

-Jordan