Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2023, 09:16 AM

Default Audio pitch

Hello. I need help troubleshooting a Protools issue. I recorded a song, just voice and guitar, and when I imported the file the resulting audio became more "high pitched", as if I had changed the "pitch shift".
However, when I import another audio file in the same session it plays normally. But the audio I recorded still has the same problem. I've tried to fix it in different ways, but I haven't been successful. I would like some help regarding this. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Audio pitch

Hi Welcome to DUC.

The problem is the audio you are importing is at a higher sample rate than the session. Or if you are converting the sample rate on import you are using the wrong values. It may be that what you think the sample rate of that content is wrong, it may be that the sample rate info stored in the header of the audio files is wrong. And that can happen for example if the audio interface and DAW you use for recording are at different sample rates when things were recorded. That mostly happens when interfaces are clocked by an external clock at the wrong rate, or can happen if multiple apps have the same interface open.

This is very unlikely to be a problem in Pro Tools, it will be a workflow or interface issue. You can try importing the audio into Pro Tools and use sample rate conversion in the import dialog and specify that the source content has higher sample rates (it's normally easy to guess what the wrong sample rate is by listening to how much things are pitched up/down).
Old 09-22-2023, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Audio pitch

Agree with Darryl. Can you go back to the original recording? The problem likely happened either when you exported the files, OR when you imported into a new session. Easiest solution is to go back and do things correctly. Next option is to import the original audio into a 44.1K session(by your description, I am guessing the audio was recorded at 44.1K, but was imported into a 48K session WITHOUT sample rate conversion. This would cause the playback to be higher in pitch) Pretty much every one of us has made this mistake at least once

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave