Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-12-2021, 08:56 AM

Default Certain Plugin Windows Loading Blank/Crashing Pro Tools

Hey guys - I just built a new PC and have been having some strange issues with Pro Tools from the get go. Whenever I load up certain plugins, the plugin window will go blank and PT will freeze, eventually crashing.

From my experience it's been happening with most (but not all) of the Steven Slate Bundle plugins, Redwirez mixIR 2, Soundtoys plugins, and every single Waves plugin. I do not own any pirated plugins, and they are all legitimate versions.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Figured I'd ask here first before spending the $40 for the Avid support plan.

Some things I've tried:
- Reinstalling the affected plugins
- Reinstalling Pro Tools (twice)
- Running Pro Tools as administrator
- Running Pro Tools on a different monitor
- Running Pro Tools on a different hard drive
- Changing the high DPI and other visual settings on Pro Tools
- Running Pro Tools in compatibility mode

Here are my PC specs:
Pro Tools Version: 2021.3.1
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-A GAMING
Processor: Intel i9-10900K
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Devices: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Windows/Installs)
Storage Devices: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Games)
Storage Devices: Seagate HDD 4TB (PT Sessions)
Storage Devices: Seagate HDD 4TB (Libraries)

Here are some videos I took recreating the problem: PT Plugin Error

Last edited by cvdpoel; 04-14-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Certain Plugin Windows Loading Blank/Crashing Pro Tools

Hmmm, I also have a ton of waves plugins(versions 10, 11 and 12) and the Slate Everything bundle and all work and look fine here. Maybe try updating the graphics driver directly from the nVidia site?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, I also have a ton of waves plugins(versions 10, 11 and 12) and the Slate Everything bundle and all work and look fine here. Maybe try updating the graphics driver directly from the nVidia site?
Yeah tried that as well - gotten into contact with Waves support and followed their instructions as well to no avail
Old 04-15-2021, 10:38 AM

While building your own computer is an excellent way to get great performance and select your own components, it is also possible to run into issues with compatibility. I'm not saying these are the cause of your issues but processor clocking, memory timing, BIOS setup and options, device drivers, motherboard configuration, etc. can all have an impact.

Since you seem to be seeing a graphics issue, does your motherboard have build-in video (even VGA)? If so, try running with that video to eliminate the graphics card and drivers as possible culprits. I would try swapping memory around just incase you have a bad stick somewhere (maybe drop to 16 GBB for testing). Avoid overclocking and use most default settings in the BIOS unless customizations are required. Also try using Protools with just the built-in audio in place of your audio interface.

The proven method of moving all your plugins into the unused folder and moving them back one at a time and testing may help identify a problem plugin. Remember the plugin does not have to be in use on a track to affect Protools. I simply has to be installed.

These are basic troubleshooting steps that you may have already tried. but sometimes reducing the system to its most basic and simple configuration is a good starting point to finding the problem.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-05-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdpoel View Post
Hey guys - I just built a new PC and have been having some strange issues with Pro Tools from the get go. Whenever I load up certain plugins, the plugin window will go blank and PT will freeze, eventually crashing.

From my experience it's been happening with most (but not all) of the Steven Slate Bundle plugins, Redwirez mixIR 2, Soundtoys plugins, and every single Waves plugin. I do not own any pirated plugins, and they are all legitimate versions.

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Figured I'd ask here first before spending the $40 for the Avid support plan.

Some things I've tried:
- Reinstalling the affected plugins
- Reinstalling Pro Tools (twice)
- Running Pro Tools as administrator
- Running Pro Tools on a different monitor
- Running Pro Tools on a different hard drive
- Changing the high DPI and other visual settings on Pro Tools
- Running Pro Tools in compatibility mode

Here are my PC specs:
Pro Tools Version: 2021.3.1
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-A GAMING
Processor: Intel i9-10900K
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Devices: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Windows/Installs)
Storage Devices: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (Games)
Storage Devices: Seagate HDD 4TB (PT Sessions)
Storage Devices: Seagate HDD 4TB (Libraries)

Here are some videos I took recreating the problem: PT Plugin Error
Well, it's been two months since I started having this problem and I've been in contact with Avid support throughout those two months and today I finally got the "we can no longer help you" from them, so I guess I'm stuck.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:56 PM

I haven't seen your reply to my suggestions above. Have you tried these?

Since you seem to be seeing a graphics issue, does your motherboard have build-in video (even VGA)? If so, try running with that video to eliminate the graphics card and drivers as possible culprits. I would try swapping memory around just incase you have a bad stick somewhere (maybe drop to 16 GBB for testing). Avoid overclocking and use most default settings in the BIOS unless customizations are required. Also try using Protools with just the built-in audio in place of your audio interface.

The proven method of moving all your plugins into the unused folder and moving them back one at a time and testing may help identify a problem plugin. Remember the plugin does not have to be in use on a track to affect Protools. I simply has to be installed.

These are basic troubleshooting steps that you may have already tried. but sometimes reducing the system to its most basic and simple configuration is a good starting point to finding the problem.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-06-2021, 09:32 AM

In addition to the above advice, I would uninstall PT and re-install, but NOT using the Run as Admin option. This was needed all thru the Windows 7 era, but with Windows 10, you may find smoother sailing by doing a "normal" install and running or PT(fingers crossed!). And, as much of a PITA as it is, I would also remove the Waves plugins and re-install them too

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave