Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Error: ASIO device properties changed in control panel

Thanks Again Will.. Great info.. Although it does reinforce my theory about all this and who's issue it really is.. Just in this post alone, I think there are 2 other individuals having the same exact issue. (I know there are more). My mother board Firewire interface/chipset is most definitely ON the approved list that presonus makes. So is the unit I am due to get in a weeks time. I am suspecting that the because my motherboard firewire is approved by presonus, that the new one I get is likely to change nothing of this PT issue. But, hey, its an experiment I am still willing to take. But as respectful as I can be, I really FEEL VERY STRONGLY THAT THIS IS AN AVID ISSUE. I can run all sorts of other ASIO based software (and I do) that does NOT have this issue on the exactly the same hardware. I mean, HELLO? what else can it be but AVID's perception of ASIO?

AVID: you've had a so called "open standard" of interfaces since version 9. I can't speak for everyone but I have to believe I am 1 of many that are getting ready to get a divorce from AVID because it simply doesn't work for a lot of whats out there! Then I have to purchase a techsupport case of which you have no solution for. Rather than placing my dollars towards Avid support, I decided to spend more and buy Presonus Studio One which works FLAWLESSLY out of the box! And I've seen 3 basic versions come out from AVID over the years with added features, well - Brovo on your added features. The number 1 feature I am most interested in is "Being a MUSICIAN instead of being a techsupport person!"

I am relatively patient but I doubt there will be a solution to this because its been a problem for about 3 years!

Good luck
Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Hi, Joe.

I have encountered similar problems with some interfaces in the past (no Presonus, though) that ended up being a Windows driver problem. In some cases, switching to "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" fixed the problem. Check out this link, see if it works for you.

http://support.presonus.com/entries/...-switch-to-it-
Old 12-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said really. I had similar problems to this with a Focusrite Saffire 40 on my laptop's integrated Ricoh firewire interface.

A possible solution is as someone else said, to look at Presonus' supported firewire card list and buy one of those. If its anything like Focusrite's, your best bet will almost certainly to buy something Texas Instruments based, the SIIG in particular if you can find it seems to be highly regarded. I ended up buying some Startech TI based cards (not on the recommended list but an identical chipset) and have had zero problems since. May not be the solution for you, but its a very good place to start. The Windows legacy firewire driver is also definitely worth trying, as this mitigated the problems for me in the early days.

In terms of on-board audio, personally I would go so far as disabling it in the BIOS to ensure it really is ruled out.

I'm sure you already have, but tripe check you're definitely on the latest versions for both your interface drivers and any ancillary software (such as mix applications) that came with your interface. Going back to Focusrite again, I know in the very early days of PT9 they had some interop issues with their mix control software which caused PT to throw similar sorts of errors under just about any setup you care to mention.

I will say, though, that it does seem getting things working under PT ASIO is many measures more difficult than most any other DAW I could mention.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM

MESAONE: You are a true GURU! I think you pegged it! I did the recommendations on that link and loaded a song, tossed it in a loop play and stepped away for about a half hour. I use to be lucky if I'd get 3 or 4 minutes of music the old way.. So when I checked back 30 minutes later, the same track was actually playing! I almost couldn't believe my own ears..
Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM

Always glad to help, Joe. This is one of those obscure issues that only seems to plague some configurations, and only when certain audio devices are used with those configurations. You had the (dis)pleasure of being one of those few. I believe this problem is unique to Windows 7, and is DAW-agnostic.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 AM

AVID: I sure hope you see this, I'm thinking I should be charging YOU for techsupport.. but anyway, MESAONE has been cool enough to find my issue. I used the LEGACY firewire drivers and for that day, it seemed perfect. BUT UNFORTUNATELY, I guess we can say the good results were short lived. Came in the studio this morning and, Legacy drivers not to mention everything else was the way it was yesterday when I actually played 30 minutes of non-stop error-free Pro Tools tracks. - this morning, same old errors showed up.. So I think I kind of found a workaround -- AND I HOPE THIS GIVES YOU A CLUE WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR SOFTWARE.

First of all, I have a dual boot system (both win7 64) both legacy drivers. The only difference between the bootups is, 1 contains PT11.2.2, the other contains PT10.3.8 - I know I didn't have to do it that way but I did and I wanted to. So... I did this EXACT SAME loading sequence in BOTH bootups using EITHER PT versions and got the exact same results. I also did this load sequence multiple times and got STABLE RESULTS each and every time.

1) I launched PT and immediately held down the N key to interrupt the audio engine load.
2) instead of telling PT about presonus, I told it to use ASIO4ALL. Which if I understand it correctly, thats pretty much a dummy audio load. Its for people that don't have sound cards.. I guess it allows them to use the MIDI portion of PT..
3) Once PT finished loading everything, I then proceeded to go into the audioengine and assign it to use Presonus. It seems to re-establish I/O connections and I'M TELLING YOU, YOUR PROTOOLS IS HAPPY FROM THAT MOMENT ON. From what I can tell its pretty rock solid with no errors. I have done this multiple times, inbetween reboots, juggling plates and spinning beach balls on my nose.. It works each and every time.

I really think there is something wrong in your initial load sequencing that my process seems to fix. You guys know more about your software than I, but .. this is my take on it..

As I've mentioned above, there are a lot of users facing this. If you guys want to truly have an open standard and keep your users happy, this should be addressed before adding features. We use protools for the purposes of RECORDING, not to sharpen up our troubleshooting skills. I'm telling you from my perspective, I was days aways from cutting this software lose forever. Thanks to people like Will, Mesaone, and others, I can make it work it work with extra steps. So I will continue to be an AVID customer. But it shouldn't be this way.

Have a great day!