Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2014, 10:39 PM

Default Re: 7200rpm Iomega external drive

No... It doesn't actually...just CAT 5. Although, I can buy a converter, but I thought I would give this other thing a try. Using the old SATA drive (the photo I posted) I bought a 2.0 USB case for it. It's on the way in the mail. Should that work okay for a session or two? I know I shouldn't have wifi hooked up, but this is the only computer I have. My HP Compaq notebook 2000, with 2.0 USB ports. The Iomega drive doesn't have USB ports and it is a network 1tb HD drive, but to be honest, it does work pretty well, as far as speed. I Hooked it up straight in to the computer, and it didn't work as well as it did hooked via wifi. Lol... Kinda crazy. When I get my laptop back from repair, I think I will have to format it to ntfs. That has to be the issue. It's probably not a good idea to work with pro tools, but do you think it would be a good idea for my kontakt libraries at least?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417761575.984585.jpg

I bought this case with a USB 2.0 for an old laptop drive I had. I thought I'd give it a try to run my pro tools audio sessions. One session at a time, then copy the finished product over to the 1tb Iomega to save room for my next session. It's a bit of work, but I was hoping it could be a possibility. What are your thoughts? Thank you so much for you time!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:39 AM

I would return the iomega, and buy a proper 7200 RPM USB 2.0 drive. If it's too late to return it, pull the drive out of the iomega enclosure and put it in the one you bought.

That old drive you have is only 5400 RPM. Not a prime choice for sessions.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 AM

Thank you so much! It is too late to take back actually. You said for me to pull the drive out of the Iomega, and out in the one 'I bought'? Which one are you referring to? I didn't buy any of drives I sent in the picture. The two drives I sent you in the picture are from my old laptop...

Are you saying I should pull out the Iomega drive and place it in the SATA USB 2.0 case I bought? So, I have no need for the two hard drives from my old laptop, correct? Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to make sure that's what you were saying:) Thanks!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM

We cannot guess exactly what you have or are doing. You simply need to start by following the Pro Tools systems requirements. And you never provided a Sandra Report. if all you have is a laptop with USB2 then an option is to junk the external Iomega NAS drive and use the HDD from inside that box. But you can also buy perfectly great 7200 rpm HDDs for US$70 or so and stick that in the USB enclosure.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Like Darryl said, pull the bare hard drive from the I omega, then put it in that enclosure you posted a picture of (the coolgear case with the USB 2.0 connection). Or, leave the iomega drive alone, and buy a new Western Digital Black drive for $80 and put it in your enclosure. Once you do that, you have a USB 2.0 hard drive that operates at 7200 RPM, which is what you wanted to get in the first place.

But the hard drive is only part of the equation.

All of this is outside the laptop, I don't know what the deal is with your laptop. Darryl is requesting a SANDRA report, which will tell us most of what we need to know about your computer itself.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 PM

I just purchased a Cat 5 to USB 2.0 converter. Will that do? What is a SANDRA report, and how do can I copy it for you? I do apologize for all my lack of knowledge on this stuff. Thank you all so much for your help!
Old 12-05-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanshoremusic View Post
I just purchased a Cat 5 to USB 2.0 converter. Will that do?
Not at all. You need a hard drive with a USB 2.0 connection, and it should be 7200 RPM or higher. There's no way around this one, if you want smooth sailing.

Quote:
What is a SANDRA report, and how do can I copy it for you? I do apologize for all my lack of knowledge on this stuff. Thank you all so much for your help!
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 12-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I just purchased a Cat 5 to USB 2.0 converter. Will that do? What is a SANDRA report, and how do can I copy it for you? I do apologize for all my lack of knowledge on this stuff. Thank you all so much for your help!
Have you not been following anything posted here? Where did anybody suggest you do that? For Pro Tools on your laptop you need a direct connected drive not a network attached storage/NAT box.... which is all the IOmega piece of crap box provides, it is all it can every provide. I would have thought I'd pretty clearly described what a piece of junk it was but you still want to keep using it? The USB2 to Cat 5 adapter just puts another Ethernet connection on your computer, it will likely suck more than what you had before.

And yes, before you waste any more time. Post a Sandra report. See the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link on this and every other DUC page.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks mesaone for your patience and thoughts:) that's all I needed to know. Sorry, Darryl... Don't have time to argue. I usually just skip your answers. You're too opinionated for me dude. Lighten up.