How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2014, 02:38 AM

Default Dual monitor problem with Pro Tools 11.2.2

Dear Colleagues,

since I updated to PT 11.2.2 from 11.2.1 it seams to be impossible to expand PT on a second monitor.

This is not exactly the behaviour I like to see since I've always been able to have the Edit Window and the Mix Window on seperate Monitors.

Is this a bug or a feature - or does the problem sit in front of the computer?

Best regards,
Wolfgang
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Dual monitor problem with Pro Tools 11.2.2

I am running 11.2.2 on a dual monitor Win 8.1 system with no issues. PT main window stretched across both monitors, mix window on one, edit on the other.

System Details
Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Interesting - I work on a Windows 7 system. When I try to expand PT to the other monitor it flips back - or it flips to the other monitor. I tryed a few things but it always flips entirely to one of my two monitors.

It also may look like a Windows issue - but why took it place only since I upgraded to 11.2.2?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:32 AM

I span three monitors with Windows 7 and 8, Pro Tools 11.2.2, with no problems.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Ok - that sounds like I have to check my system to resolve this. When I'll find out something I'll tell you.

Thank you for yout help!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 AM

The operative word here is expand, and "stretch" is also used...

In the Windows OS, all of Pro Tools windows are what might be called "sub-windows" to the main Pro Tools window, and cannot be moved outside of the main window.

To get around this issue, follow this procedure.

Make sure all of your monitors are connected and turned on.

Start Pro Tools...DO NOT Maximize the main Pro Tools window.

Drag the main Pro Tools window to the upper-left corner of the monitor Pro Tools is running on.

Grab the lower edge of the main Pro Tools window with your mouse, and pull the lower edge down to the bottom of your monitor.

Grab the right edge of the main Pro Tools window with your mouse, and pull the right edge across all of your monitors to the right side of your right-most monitor.

You will then be able to drag your "sub-windows" (mix, edit, etc) to any of your monitors, and manually size and position them as desired.

Some say you should then press [Alt]-[F4] (IIRC) to save your window layout before closing Pro Tools...I've never needed to do that...I just close Pro Tools and the window layout is the same when I reopen Pro Tools...take your choice and see what works for you...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Are you dragging the top of the window pane? In Windows, dragging the top to a screen edge will "snap" it in place, which sounds like what is happening.

Pro Tools should be able to spread across multiple screens, but you're prevented from doing that when the application is maximized.

Here's the best methoid I've found (aside from Bob Nagy's Skootch software):
  1. Drag the window to the left edge of your first monitor so it snaps to the left half of your first monitor.
  2. Move the cursor to the right edge of the PT window it will turn into a double arrow
  3. Drag the right edge of the PT window to the right edge of your second monitor
Old 11-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangC View Post
Interesting - I work on a Windows 7 system. When I try to expand PT to the other monitor it flips back - or it flips to the other monitor. I tryed a few things but it always flips entirely to one of my two monitors.
This may help you or come in handy later:

Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the mouse easier to use

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (44.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 02:21 AM

Dear Colleagues,

thank you for your kind help!

I tried all your hints in many different ways but the stange behaviour still exists.

The thing is everything was normal with my system until PT 11.2.2 - so I *was* already able to "expand" the Pro Tools Window.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:31 AM

YES - the problem is solved!

I read in the internet about methodes to resolve problems regarding "MS Aero Snap" and tried all those without success. At the end it said if all that doesn't work try to update your graphics driver - and so I did ;-)

That was the problem. After installing PT 11.2.2 my graphics driver did not work propperly any more. Who knows why...

Thank you all!