Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Can\'t see the waveform of a direct-in guitar signal?

Quote:
Originally posted by el biciclista:
Thanks guys for (1) solving the problem and (2) clarifying for me what I am reading on the peak indicator.

I will run through the preamp with a 15-20dB gain while recording the DI signal. Then, when I reamp back out to my guitar amplifier/speakers to mic for the final guitar track, I will trim the signal to the Reamp unit by the same gain amount. (I assume this 20dB up/20dB down will not alter the basic signal, as long as I have plenty of headroom).

Thanks again, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Doesn't the Reamp box take care of the level/impedence difference? I thought that was what it was for, otherwise why not just turn the guitar down and use an adapter to get it into the amp. You should be able to come line out of Pro Tools into the Reamp and out of Reamp into the amp with no worries!

Later
Old 06-06-2003, 07:24 PM

Steve,
This was also my confusion earlier.

Yes, the boxes handle the impedance issues: the DI box going into ProTools converts from high impedance to low impedance, and the Reamp box going out converts from +4 line level to high impedance.

The problem is that the signal from the guitar pickups going into the DI box is much closer to a mic signal than a line level signal, so it needs to go through a preamp to add some gain so it is within a range ProTools can handle. When I go back out to the Reamp box, I am just using the Trim plug-in to reduce the gain by the same amount I added on the way in.

When I go into the DI box (BSS Audio AR-133) and record the DI signal, I take a 2nd line out of the AR-133 (which is tied directly to the input) to the amp so I listen to the amp as I am recording the direct-in signal. The amp is set up approximately like I think I will want it when I later mic the speakers. So, this is why I reduce the gain back down coming out of ProTools: the signal looks the same to the amp, as if it were coming directly from the guitar.

Sound OK? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Mike
Old 06-07-2003, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by el biciclista:
Steve,
This was also my confusion earlier.

Yes, the boxes handle the impedance issues: the DI box going into ProTools converts from high impedance to low impedance, and the Reamp box going out converts from +4 line level to high impedance.

The problem is that the signal from the guitar pickups going into the DI box is much closer to a mic signal than a line level signal, so it needs to go through a preamp to add some gain so it is within a range ProTools can handle. When I go back out to the Reamp box, I am just using the Trim plug-in to reduce the gain by the same amount I added on the way in.

When I go into the DI box (BSS Audio AR-133) and record the DI signal, I take a 2nd line out of the AR-133 (which is tied directly to the input) to the amp so I listen to the amp as I am recording the direct-in signal. The amp is set up approximately like I think I will want it when I later mic the speakers. So, this is why I reduce the gain back down coming out of ProTools: the signal looks the same to the amp, as if it were coming directly from the guitar.

Sound OK? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">el biciclista,

You don't have to mess with the gain coming out of Pro Tools and going into the Reamp box. Reamp was invented to allow exactly what you are wanting to do, so manual adjustments to the level coming out of PT are not needed. If you like the sound better by turning the signal down, then do it, but I don't think there's any electronic reason for you to compensate. I think the Reamp has a +4 input and a hi z out and some sort of level/impedence matching transformer.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:44 PM

Steve,
The reason for reducing the gain coming out is not an "electronic reason". I originally adjusted the guitar volume, guitar tone, amp volume, amp tone, effects units, etc. to get a sound I like. Then, I played the guitar part while simultaneously recording into ProTools and listening to amp/speakers (see earlier post).

Since I boosted the gain going into ProTools, I need to reduce it back to the original level coming out into the amp. Otherwise, the amp will have a higher input and will be MUCH louder in my studio (say, 20dB). This higher signal coming in affects how everything reacts: amp, effects, speakers. Not to mention I don't want to hear another 20dB in the studio.

Mike