Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-11-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos Production Suite trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philharmonic7 View Post
Anyone with any insight whether DAPS will be PC compatible at some point? I have a HP z840 workstation and was curious on how to implement DAPS in my computer without needing another dedicated computer.
I was wondering about the same thing. It seems weird that the Production suite isn't available on PC, when the mastering suite renderer runs on a dedicated PC.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-11-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Yep, I bought an Apple TV 4K, and a refurbished Marantz 7705 which is a receiver, but without amps. In consumer-speak, it's a preamp processor. It has (13) +4 analog XLR outputs. So I patched those outs into my audio interfaces on DB25 snakes. TIDAL runs on the Apple TV and decodes to 7.1.4 (or on the Marantz 7.2.4!) and then I can listen to music and watch movies in Atmos in the studio. I'm not going to mince words- it sounds amazing and is so much fun. Lots more info about all the topics in this thread in the Atmos Professional Facebook group. AFAIK, the completely digital consumer Atmos systems are very expensive. I gave up on trying that, hence my D/A/D routing.
OK, thanks for the explanation!

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 04-11-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Anyone with any insight whether DAPS will be PC compatible at some point? I have a HP z840 workstation and was curious on how to implement DAPS in my computer without needing another dedicated computer.
Dolby has been asked that question a thousand times. The official word is something like 'there are no plans at this time for a Windows version of DAPS.' My guess is that it has something to do with the difficulty of building something like Dolby Audio Bridge in Windows, but I have no idea.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:28 PM

Ha! As usual, AVID treating windows as the bastard stepchild. I’d figure if they get constantly asked about windows compatibility they would do something about it. Oh well.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Ha! As usual, AVID treating windows as the bastard stepchild. I’d figure if they get constantly asked about windows compatibility they would do something about it. Oh well.
For the record, this decision was not Avid’s! All Dolby here...
Old 04-12-2021, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Yep, it will run on a MacBook Pro. Depending on the complexity of your mixes, you may find that it pushes the limit of your machine. But if you have the time to balance CPU power by freezing tracks in Pro Tools and/or doing a mix of online and offline re-renders, you should be ok. Alan Sallabank's series on Pro Tools Expert is a great resource for PT and DAPS. Be aware that there are really three levels of Atmos:

DAPS - single CPU system for making home theater and music mixes

DAMS - multi-CPU system for more elaborate home theater mixes with the renderer (DAMS) on a dedicated Windows machine

DA Cinema - high-end, lease-only multi-CPU system and Windows renderer for mixing films in Atmos.

Not to be discouraging, but I don't recommend releasing anything that you haven't had the chance to hear in 7.1.4. Before I upgraded my studio to 7.1.4, I worked on music mixes with DAPS and then took them to a better-equipped room to finish them. Last November, I connected TIDAL to my rig. AMAZING. There are some great Atmos albums out there.
Just to say that the Home Theatre DAMS runs on a mac mini as well. That's the set up we have.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret View Post
Just to say that the Home Theatre DAMS runs on a mac mini as well. That's the set up we have.
Right! I forgot that they allowed Mac DAMS systems. Thanks Garret.