Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-04-2016, 05:07 PM

Default Re: AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

Yay, I'm so happy there is a club for the people suffering from this.

I've done all the troubleshooting steps multiple times. Every time I think I've gotten rid of the offending plug in and I'm OK, I am OK for a while, then it happens again.

I did notice today something that I had never seen before. I was having the problem doing a realtime "bounce to a track", but I could not start at the top of this one region without the 9173 error. I zoomed in on the region and found a small piece of automation. I thought "wow, I don't remember putting that there" and I deleted it. Bingo! everything worked again, and I was pleased. Then it started happening again, and I looked and the (volume) automation was back. Then I noticed that automation was getting written at the head of regions randomly AFTER I would delete ALL volume automation from every track. I had never seen this before: ghost automation being written into my sessions.

The odd thing is that I can go a few moths without having a session getting corrupted like this, but when it happens, it is a total bummer. It's similar to the no output but pinned meters problem many of us were having. You have to start from scratch with a session and NOT import any tracks. If you import tracks it follows you like a disease.

I wake up and walk to my system every day and wonder: "Is this going to be the day it corrupts right before a deadline and I go mental"?

PT11.3.2HD - OSX 10.10.3 - trashcan mac pro - Metric Halo ULN8

Last edited by actualsizeaudio; 05-04-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: got version of PT wrong
Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsizeaudio View Post
Yay, I'm so happy there is a club for the people suffering from this.
A club with which I would prefer non-affiliation.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.6 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
A club with which I would prefer non-affiliation.
Yeah me too.

Does happen to people running 12 as well, or is it an 11 only thing?
Old 05-04-2016, 10:33 PM

on 12 here/ get it like crazy with VI's Synthmaster changing presets, UVI changing presets...

And just lots of em while in the writing stage.

The I've gotten a few noise blast when using just audio and some automation.

No click track used here.

Sent about 10 crash reports, as Ive had those also.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted Music View Post
on 12 here/ get it like crazy with VI's Synthmaster changing presets, UVI changing presets...

And just lots of em while in the writing stage.

The I've gotten a few noise blast when using just audio and some automation.

No click track used here.

Sent about 10 crash reports, as Ive had those also.
Interesting. No click track for me either, and no VIs installed at all. I get a crash about once every three days, and I work 10 hour days in here, 4-6 days a week.

The interesting thing I find is that it really seems to be a session corruption issue. The session I worked on yesterday was a total poop show. Today, I'm working on a 90min film I did a few weeks ago with way more going on. I didn't change ANYTHING with my system. No problems to report, everything is totally fine. Yesterday's corrupted session was a two track mastering job.

Have people been sending their corrupted sessions to Avid?
Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 AM

I'm getting aae - 9173 just about every time i scrub audio.

total CPU is between 5 and 30%. As i scrub, usually when in reverse it pops the error message.

the mouse disappears so i have to hit the return key to clear the box. Then the play point jumps to the head of the session. so frustrating.

I work for a post facility and we have over 20 protools systems all HDv11. some native, most HDX. this is happening to me on the 5 systems i use.

i have tried de activating dynamic plugin processing and reducing disk playback cache size and all variants of HW buffer size but makes no difference.

Anyone seen this and resolved?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 AM

See if you have Slate's LX480 or whatever his verb is on an aux track. If you do, bingo.

Can't scrub on my system if that plugin is active in a session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieroden View Post
I'm getting aae - 9173 just about every time i scrub audio.

total CPU is between 5 and 30%. As i scrub, usually when in reverse it pops the error message.

the mouse disappears so i have to hit the return key to clear the box. Then the play point jumps to the head of the session. so frustrating.

I work for a post facility and we have over 20 protools systems all HDv11. some native, most HDX. this is happening to me on the 5 systems i use.

i have tried de activating dynamic plugin processing and reducing disk playback cache size and all variants of HW buffer size but makes no difference.

Anyone seen this and resolved?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2018.3.
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM

Hey Folks, here's some give back from me. I have - like so many of us - been having -9173 errors since at least PT11. I I would do clean installs - everything to the T - make sure my plugs are the latest authorized versions. OSX 10.85, 10.10.5, 10.113, etc. I am on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz, 16GB ram. I have 1TB Sanyo 840 evo SSD drive in two partitions - to try different configs on second drive. Further I record to a 250 Gb Sanyo 840 evo SSS that replaced my optical drive. I have tried Pro Tools 11.3 HD native through 12.5 HD native. My interfaces are Apollo twin thunderbolt, with two OCTO thunderbolt accelerators. I just added an Apollo 8P to this config. Further I have Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 10 and Maschine Micro 2. Lastly, I have a OWC Thunderbay Mini raid loaded with 4 2TB 7500 rpm drives (two off for spares) for backups and samples. Should be rocking correct? Well, I it would run great for a while then i would have fits - for weeks at a time - with constant -9173 errors. I tried everything, even some online help from avid. Things would seem to be fixed.... But then not. Finally, last night as I was about to shoot my self I did another troubleshoot session.
BOTTOM LINE: when i purchased the OWC Thunderbay it included a short, black, OWC branded thuderbolt cable. THIS CABLE was causing a drag in throughout somehow. I replaced it with a new 0.5 meter thunderbolt cable from Apple and now my system is acting as it should be. The cable looked great, was well taken care of, and Yet.

I hope this helps someone else......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Automation of plug ins is what does it for me, but not always. I have a session that just started having them after I automated a bypass on a clariphonic EQ. I got rid of the automation and the 9173 errors went away.

Of course the session I did yesterday, and the one last week both had automation on these plugs and zero problems. I don't know why some of my sessions just get to a point (this one is a 85 min surround film that is 20gigs) where automation gets corrupted.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:18 PM

Still not fixed in 12.5.1 This is ridiculous. 12.4 work ok for me so I'm rolling back. This is terrible. Needs to be fixed ASAP!!!