Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-08-2020, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Bounce to Quicktime/Catalina

In Quicktime Player under Catalina it's easy to extract audio. And in Logic Pro under Catalina, Bounce to Quicktime doesn't involve recompression of the video, rather just a replacement of the audio. Just the same as you can do in Quicktime Player by dragging a new wav file over the player. These seem like pretty simple mechanical operations; I don't see any reason why this can't function as command from within ProTools. The only reason I can think that Avid is delaying this is that they may have a more comprehensive solution in mind that involves recompression. If true, I still wish they would've included simple audio replacement for the time being.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:26 PM

Avid is just using excuses and work arounds by using 3rd party software.

Avid is a video compeny?

Logic can "Export to quicktime movie" under catalina. And yes its an Apple owned DAW. But Cataline is abou t to be replaced by Big Sur and we still cant bounce to quicktime movie.

Seriously
2020 Mac Pro 16 Core
386 GB Ram

www.louisenslin.com
Old 09-09-2020, 01:05 AM

Whatever work Avid is doing they are obviously already aiming for Big Sur and while some people with latest and greatest computers are forced to use Catalina, most can choose to stay with Mojave until the smoke has dissolved.

I am very happy about the snappiness of PT on Catalina and with that said do not need this feature for the time being, but workarounds are there and if I didn't need to use that workaround multiple times a day I could wait.

Not defending Avid, just understanding it takes time to do it properly. Remember this is a company that implemented MIDI in 5.0 and revised it in 8.0 and has hardly touched it ever since. It needs to be right the first time.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:24 AM

So to confirm, Logic is able to Bounce To Quicktime under Catalina? I'm not interested in how it is handled in prior OSs.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Confirmed yes, under Catalina. I've done it.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
...just understanding it takes time to do it properly..

It's not like the loss of Quicktime functionality was a surprise - Apple has been beating the drum about those frameworks being EOL'd for *years*. This is a workflow that's essential to most people in post and film/tv music.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-10-2020, 09:15 AM

Does anyone think Apple 'breaks stuff' just to fk over competitors like AVID? just wondering for a friend....I dont think theyd do that.....
Old 09-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Does anyone think Apple 'breaks stuff' just to fk over competitors like AVID? just wondering for a friend....I dont think theyd do that.....
They abandon old technologies which hinder speed and productivity, but it's up to the vendors to keep pace with these changes. Most do so quite well. Do they lose sleep over the fact that it puts ProTools at a disadvantage to Logic? Doubtful. Somewhere, Old Nicky Machiavelli is smirking from his grave.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
It's not like the loss of Quicktime functionality was a surprise - Apple has been beating the drum about those frameworks being EOL'd for *years*. This is a workflow that's essential to most people in post and film/tv music.
It's the main roadblock keeping about 10 machines in our company from taking the Catalina plunge. As you said, it's essential. Even with the available workarounds, it's a clunky (i.e. time consuming) process, and in an industry with super-tight schedules, that's not forward progress.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:35 PM

For those of us in Film/TV world, this problem is made even worse because, as a composer, many of my sample libraries have not been sitting idly by over the past few years. Those libraries and many plug-ins have continued to develop, to the point where they were not running smoothly on the old OS.

So much of the job of a composer is being on top of music trends and using the latest sounds. When those make your system unstable, the only way to continue is by taking the plunge to the new OS. Now, I'm in a situation where, sonically, everything is great, but I'm back to about 2005 in terms of functionality?

This is such a gigantic bummer. How has it continued this long?