Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2008, 03:29 PM

Default \"select next/previous track\" \"rec enable track\" key command?

Do these exist in PT? When tracking a vocalist and layering stacks up to 10 tracks per harmony part (gives a nice [natural] stereo spread) - I would like to refrain from using the mouse - but the only way I can see to select a track and or record enable a track is to use the mouse. Am I overlooking something or is this not possible.

I work primarily in Nuendo, and I have it setup to record enable a track when selecting it (during tracking only of course) - I set punch points hit play, down arrow, play, down arrow play, repeat until I am done with that harmony part. I love the mix and edit capabilities of ProTools and I am moving to an HD system (as converting Nuendo sessions to PT for clients for the last two years is getting tired) - but this is a huge hurdle in workflow to me if I can't engage a track for recording within half a second without using the mouse - esp. when I have 32 individual parts to look forward to tracking

P.S. I'm not bashing, I'm just asking
Old 04-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Re: \"select next/previous track\" \"rec enable track\" key comm

You can turn on Track Selection follows Edit Selection which will accomplish the first part. As you move your Edit Selection up and down (BTW, I recommend buying the color coded keyboard) the track gets selected. Also, you can set Record enables to be non-latching so that switching to the next track is a one button operation. But your last and seemingly most important request for a key command to arm a track doesn't exist. Hope this helps.

I'm an ICON owner and can't imagine using ANY DAW without a control surface now.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks for that, that cleared things up a bit. I guess I'll have to stick to my old ways, I don't use a mouse at all during tracking (at all and this would be a hinderance to my workflow.

I just find it odd that a program that is known for its key commands, editing capabilities, requires you to record enable a track with the mouse only - I find something awfully wrong with that.

On another note - the ICON console - nice, I've always worked on the digi consoles for mixing, and I agree (if I could afford one) I wouldn't go back. I was looking at the Euphonix MC, but even that will have to wait.

I will keep trying to find a way to work with this, like I said, mixing in protools - and editing is sooooo nice, but the tracking (lightning fast tracking) without a console might make it hard.

Once again thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 AM

If you are very careful about where you place your windows and track size display, you could program a Quickeys macro to perform a mouse click on the record buttons of a series of tracks. You'd have to have a solid preset way of working, say 20 mono tracks, all at the top of the window, set to medium display size, etc, etc. But would be very do-able if you are desperate to ditch the mouse.

Why oh why PT isn't Apple Scriptable I don't know.

And my favorite jab when PT doesn't do something I want -

This feature has been in Digital Perfomer since 1990

I image they are trying to protect you from wiping out a track with a careless keypress, but the non-destructive nature of PT should already take care of that.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:

And my favorite jab when PT doesn't do something I want -

This feature has been in Digital Perfomer since 1990

LOL. I have a DP user friend that is ALWAYS telling me this!!! He may be right, but damn do I hate DP the times I've tried it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM

DP blows for editing audio, but the rest of the environment is pretty friendly.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM

not sure what happened - but, looks like my last post didn't make it through. Maybe its what I said ....

Is there a feature request forum?

Also, as an option alongside the track enable key command, it would be nice to have in the preferences a "(rec) track enable follows track selection" or something like that. Like I said, an option, but this would allow us tracking engineers to track the likes of Danity Kane with 100+ something vocal tracks (yes, look it up) but just using the previous / next selection (p/ to track as this is all we do during these R&B and POP songs, record, next track, record, next track, record, next track repeat until client feels its "big enough"

I know this isn't important in the mix phase, but it is a must have when "fast tracking"...