How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM

Default 2018 uninstaller?

Hi,

Feel a bit stupid having to ask lol. But went to another studio to help with an issue and was confidently going to do a complete uninstall and just start again. Well no uninstaller! Had to start manually removing things and pulling prefs then was concerned about removing something needed to run the installer again which is done via online etc.

First attempt didn’t work PT crashing as soon as you move a region on the timeline. Ran out of time so didn’t get it resolved whilst I was there.

Anyhow is there no uninstaller available?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:31 AM

Default Re: 2018 uninstaller?

Nope, not for the main app at least on Mac... drag the app to the trash and empty.

There are uninstallers for cloud collaboration and Link... and no studio should be allowing either of those buggy security sewers to stay installed on any computer.

Plugins of course you are in your own with.

Then trash every prefs etc. you can.

Are you seeing unexpected stuff left over after doing that?
Old 02-02-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nope, not for the main app at least on Mac... drag the app to the trash and empty.

There are uninstallers for cloud collaboration and Link... and no studio should be allowing either of those buggy security sewers to stay installed on any computer.

Plugins of course you are in your own with.

Then trash every prefs etc. you can.

Are you seeing unexpected stuff left over after doing that?
Hi,

Well I trashed all pro tools stuff but was a bit unsure about trashing all the Avid stuff especially with license folders in and other stuff I didn’t thing was relevant. Did all prefs I could find and the plugs folder, but it didn’t work issue was still there. Will have to try again if the user hasn’t sorted it himself first.

Can’t believe you’re expected to start diving into these separate folders to remove it all. Even I was sceptical so how does someone new feel about doing this!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:38 PM

Pro Tools packaging is a mess, and has gotten worse in the last few years... but so many issues really do get solved by just trashing all prefs etc (just use Peter Gates tool), and if not that then it’s normally a plugin... not Pro Tools itself. OK occasionally with creating a new admin user account and using that... But I suspect many of those are really people not trashing their user Library prefs correctly. Frankly if it is much more than that my approach is just do a new full clean macOS install.... as a test... if that install and Pro Tools fails you know something is vey bad... if it works then keep going, get everything installed and then clone over the old drive (and for troubleshooting/helping others I cheat and already have a external USB drive with Mojave and a basic PT install that I can always just boot off and test with).
Old 02-04-2020, 11:06 AM

Darryl, I'm very surprised you didn't suggest making a clean install and taking a clone of it, then cloning it back when you need to start fresh with another PT version

With that said, 10.15.3 is out already and depending on how long it takes Avid to release 2020.x it is soon time for me to do just that. My current Catalina is an upgrade for testing purposes