Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 PM

Default Problems with setup/audio interface

Hello guys! I'm not experienced in home recording, so apologize me if this question is silly for you.

The thing is: I just upgraded my macbook. it's fine but still running a little bit slow, I don't know why. Sometimes the recording goes pretty well, and sometimes not.

What happens sometimes is that my pro tools doesn't recognise the interface. The firewire connection just doesn't work (the interface`s firewire indicator turns off).

I tried a lot of things, but it's not working.

I'm using a Saffire Pro 24 with a Pro Tools 11, and my computer specs are these:

OSX Yosemite
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Could you help me? Thanks a lot!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Problems with setup/audio interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospadoni View Post
Hello guys! I'm not experienced in home recording, so apologize me if this question is silly for you.

The thing is: I just upgraded my macbook. it's fine but still running a little bit slow, I don't know why. Sometimes the recording goes pretty well, and sometimes not.

What happens sometimes is that my pro tools doesn't recognise the interface. The firewire connection just doesn't work (the interface`s firewire indicator turns off).

I tried a lot of things, but it's not working.

I'm using a Saffire Pro 24 with a Pro Tools 11, and my computer specs are these:

OSX Yosemite
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Could you help me? Thanks a lot!
What do you mean by 'upgraded your macbook'? Do you mean you installed a new version of OSX? If so did you do a clean installation where you install everything from scratch? That's the way to go and when you do so never ever use Migration Assistant to bring programs over from a backup.

Make sure your computer is not set to sleep mode in any form. When that happens it can lose communication to peripherals. Also try using another Firewire cable.

QAPLA!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 PM

I added more RAM, memory, formated the hard drive and re-installed just the essencial softwares to record.

I'll try another cable, I have already turned off the sleep mode. Hope it works.

Thank you for replying :)
Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospadoni View Post
I added more RAM, memory, formated the hard drive and re-installed just the essencial softwares to record.

I'll try another cable, I have already turned off the sleep mode. Hope it works.

Thank you for replying :)
RAM is memory. When you reformatted the hard drive what OSX version did you put on? Still Yosemite?

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:02 AM

Yes what exact OS X version are you now running and what exact Focusrite driver/version did you install?

How intermittent is this now? If it happens at random frequently it is likely a hardware problem. You likely moved things around, flexed cables etc when upgrading the MacBook. Look at all that again.

---

If it is misbehaving...

Does OS X see the interface? Can iTunes play through it?

Does Saffire mix control see the interface and appear to work OK? (E.g. Can you monitor through it?)

If neither of those work try a different FireWire cable, With nothing else connected to that FireWire bus. Avoid hot plugging FireWire connectors. Uninstall and reinstall the driver. Still does not work contact Focusrite support, it is not a Pro Tools issue.

Make sure the interface is not selected in audio/midi setup then try to open pro tools, hold down the 'n' key.. What exact options appear in the playback engine dialog when it appears.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:09 AM

DO NOT hot-swap the firewire cable!!!! Turn everything OFF first.