Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Waves Plugins

I've heard/read that Waves creates updates for their plugins on a regular basis that you need to buy for them to continue working. Is this true? I've been hesitant to buy anything from them due to this.

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 PM

Default Waves Plugins

Hahah yes they do.....

You get free updates for a year and then after that you have to WUP.

Waves Update Plan been that way for years....

Think it was based around the concept used when ProTools was releasing a new version every year.

New version of ProTools means Waves would have to go in and re-tool their code, thus the extra charge for the new version.

No need to be afraid, and it's actually a really good time to buy stuff from them due to the sale they have going on

Just got CLA 76 and CLA-2A cheap
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Waves Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Hahah yes they do.....

Waves Update Plan. Been that way for years....

Think it was based around the concept used when ProTools was releasing a new version every year.

New version of ProTools means Waze would have to go in and re-tool their code, thus the extra charge for the new version.
Thanks for the info. When I bought PT it came with free upgrades for a year. It ended right before they released 12.5, so I'm stuck at 12.4. They offered me an extension to the update plan for either $150 or $200, but I couldn't afford it. It was great while it lasted.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Default Waves Plugins

Yes Waves updates would usually be good for a lot longer than a year

If you got in at 12.4 it would most likely take you all the way through a year and a half before you would be forced to upgrade

the problem is depending on what operating system you are running, it may require you to upgrade based on other operating system type of changes

PS proTools 12.4 was really solid for me if you had to get off the train, that was a good place.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Hahah yes they do.....

No need to be afraid, and it's actually a really good time to buy stuff from them due to the sale they have going on
Ya, that's actually why I created the post. I've been thinking about buying that Nx Virtual Mix Room plug. I can't afford a pair of monitors and I'm working in an untreated room. I'm gonna try out the demo before the sale ends and see if it really does help with a headphone mix. The plugin comes with the "Head Tracker," which is $79 on it's own; the sale includes both for $99. I really hope that I can put the cash together before the sale ends tomorrow. Anyone ever use these or know someone that has? Wondering if they're worth it?

Last edited by adam79; 09-29-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:51 PM

Hey, Adam,

the Waves Nx Virtual Mixroom plug you can get for $43,89.- only from audiodeluxe now (need to register with them for the $5.- off but it´s worth it in the long run as they got really cool offers all time).
If you don´t like to register with them (it´s free btw) you can get it for $49.- from Waves online store.
Check it out.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/wave...rtual-mix-room

If you should go to audiodeluxe.com check out this one as well.
http://audiodeluxe.com/products/metric-halo-haloverb
Great value for the money. For registered users $21.25 only!!
Have a listen there. The Verb starts at 2:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919LvjkdPe4

Even if I decided to miss out on this one initially just because I already have more reverb plugs I actually use I´m tempted to grab myself a copy of this little plug. Seriously nice sound for this price.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I've heard/read that Waves creates updates for their plugins on a regular basis that you need to buy for them to continue working. Is this true? I've been hesitant to buy anything from them due to this.

Thanks,
-Adam
If you put is this way, then no, it is not true. When you get Waves plugin, you get it forever, and it will continue working, unless you want to run it under another host/system which is not supported.

Actually, you get free updates while current version is supported (it is version 9 now). You don't need WUP for minor updates (bug fixes).

In terms of updates, you will need WUP only when new version (10) will be released and only if you want to switch to this newer version. Otherwise you can go on using your older version (of course, only on hosts and systems that it supports).
Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Hahah yes they do.....

Waves Update Plan been that way for years....

New version of ProTools means Waves would have to go in and re-tool their code, thus the extra charge for the new version.

Just got CLA 76 and CLA-2A cheap
This is incorrect.

Updates are always free. WUP is for other uses like extra tech support or getting your hands on free plugins that have been added to any bundle you have purchased.

The only time you need to worry about paying WUPfor an update is if they suddenly started releasing Version 10 plugins. Eleven then you can pay it after the fact, you actually aren't obliged to pay WUP annually.