Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 12:07 PM

Default Protools 7 Features WishList

Like so many, as I ponder what the benefits/difficulties of upgrading my Protools HD|2 rig which is just over a year old from OS9.2.2./PT5.3.1 to OS10.3/PT6.2.3. Frankly there I am not particularly motivated by the new features of 6. Here are some features that, if added, would motivate me tremendously. Feel free to add your own to this post...

1.) Built in CD-Burning Utility similar to Masterlist. Include DVD-A creation abilities.
2.) Faster than real-time bounce to disk
3.) Bounce to multiple seperate audio files (perhaps based on Markers), also faster than real time
4.) An included RTAs Sampler plugin that doesn't suck and loads Akai, Giga, Samplecell etc... and has multiple outputs from a single instance to aux inputs.
5.) You've bought Bombfactory (the company), now buy Waves and include all there plugins as part of the Protools system. Waves plugins are great but are shockingly overpriced.
6.) Ok since we're buying companies, also buy McDsp and Antares Autotune, Mic Modeler and provide plugins as part of Protools
7.) Minimum of 1 year of free updates on plugins from time of purchase.
8.) Be more flexible and fair on your hardware upgrade policies.
9.) Oh would it be too much to ask to include MP3 Export without charging additional for it?

Thanks for listening.

Justin
Vancouver, WA
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 02-17-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Protools 7 Features WishList

Improved MIDI that includes notation and scoring (professional) along with MIDI to audio and audio to MIDI conversion capabilities.
Thank You!
LB.
PS. Furthermore, the ability to mix both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
Old 02-17-2004, 01:57 PM

Standalone software to run with ASIO or CORE AUDIO compatible cards.
Digi would rule the known universe.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:21 PM

Resizable I/O setup window....
Old 02-17-2004, 02:26 PM

Also Please could we have Midi Implementation like Cubase. I love Pro Tools But after 5 Years I still miss Cubase editing. How hard would it be to be able to click open a block and have it supersize so you could do quick editing of audio or midi notes without having to constantly resize the window. add it to the smart tool somehow
Old 02-17-2004, 02:27 PM

Support for VST, MOTU plugins?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Support for VST, MOTU plugins?
Now you're just being silly. Can we keep these realistic?

How about real tempo mapping (à la Digital Performer), I second the motion for a resizable i/o setup, and Audio Instrument tracks like in Logic. Creating 3 tracks just to play and record a sample is kinda outdated.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:45 PM

Ok guys this is a BIG ONE! Automatic Plug-in & Buss latency compensation! I nearly drove myself nuts trying to convert my mastering template from protools LE to HD with the amount of bussing I've got going on. It took me a frutrating couple of days to get rid of any phase/latency related issues not to mention using a DSP chip for all the time adjuster plug-ins I had to instantiate! Please can't digi delay the whole mixer? is it really that hard to do?

Next I would like to see support for multiple bit rates & sample rates within the same session.

Then there's the support for Stereo interleaved files without having to split them in 2.

Totally agree with getting Masterlist built into the Protools software for burning cd's from the arrange page, this would be a god send for mastering.

Also Digi isn't about time you had a look at your SRC quality in the bounce to disk options? This is not even usable, have you heard what it does?? Can't you get a license from Audio Ease to use Barbabatch's SRC algorithms?

I've said it before if Sequoia & the dated Ensoniq Paris can deal with some of these critical features, is it so hard for Digidesign to impliment them?

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 02-17-2004, 07:20 PM

Great list Justin!

I totally agree on the first three. However, I don't agree on the last three.

I think Digi has the best upgrade policy I have ever seen. I can't think of many hardware companies that have any upgrades at all.

I agree that the MP3 option is a pain to buy and install, but the reality is that Digi licenses (and pays a fee) the technology for every MP3 export option they release. If the MP3 option was included for everyone, then many PT buyers would be paying for a license that they will never use, which would unnecessarily raise the price of PT for all.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:31 PM

I can't give away any details but two of the things on Justin's list will be happening VERY soon. They aren't really PT features so don't get too excited. The funny thing is they are two of the things that I really didn't expect to see Digi do.