Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Logic Pro 7

Froyo....This is why I'm thinking...that this whole thing will not cause Apple/Emagic to have a monopoly....people that are deeply into PT or whatever else...are going to find a reason to stay...even if other systems are more efficient and cheaper...I mean for the money you would save in buying extra excell cards you could build an extension to your house...or simply build a room to isolate and house your extra computers if you got a whole bunch of straigt up G5's...let alone the solution(G5 X serves) that you just illustrated......

Thothprod
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM

I did see the line about Waveburner. Then I couldn't even find it again. Almost like the page was edited??? Joking...could be another reason to pay the price of admission.

Also, to clarify...

"System Requirements
• Macintosh computer with PowerPC G4 or faster processor (G5 or dual G4 processors
recommended) and 512MB of RAM; Logic Node applications require PowerPC G5 and
Gigabit Ethernet connectivity."

So Logic Pro 7 will run on a G4, but, any 'distributed audio processing' (Logic Node) requires a G5.

k
Old 09-29-2004, 11:40 AM

Let's keep in mind that the shared processing capability can be done over ethernet or firewire, so all this talk of "users on networks" is meaningless. I think the idea is exactly that which was mentioned...get a rack with a bunch of xserves in it, right next to your rack with audio gear. There's no limitation on the number of nodes you add.

For the price of HD 3 Accel + the slowest G5 tower someone can get the fastest G5 tower + Logic + 4 dual xserve nodes.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:44 AM

Sorry Froyo...I was responding to ICon1357 post.....One question I have regards the poster that seemed to imply that native plug ins were inferior to TDM...Can anyone state whether that is because the TDM plugins were geared to be used thru a more sophisticated DSP system...or whether the "alledged " lack of quality was in the plug ins themselselves....because if the nature of the plug-ins and what they do are basically the same...then running them thru The Intergrated Audio enviroment with it's enhanced DSP capabalility's may very well negate the 'alledged" inferiority of the "Native" plug-ins by virtue that the system they are being rendered on is different...if that be the case...then the difference in price between TDM vs.Native Plug ins may be just another bonus to Intergrated Audio...you also have access to external signal processing...while definitely more difficult to configure will probably render superior results to both native and TDM Plug ins....
One thing that I am trying to show is there are many things that will not be known until some of us are able to work with this new technology for a while...

ThothProd
Old 09-29-2004, 11:51 AM

After all the hoo-ha last week about Logic 7 being the uber-DAW that was going to kick Digi around, this announcement was exactly what I expected

A $299 version of Logic for non-pro's. Fine.

Three new plugins, two of which they showed when they launched Logic 6.

And you can offload host processing to another CPU, which Cubase has been doing for years. Nobody does it because the latency sucks. I guess it remains to be seen how well it works in Logic. Pro Tools DSP killer it ain't.

I don't see how buying multiple XServes is any more efficient than buying HD Cards. Right now the cheapest Xserve is only $500 cheaper than an HD Accel card. By the time you power it up in a rack on a network, it's the same price, and an Accel card is a lot quieter and more compact.

This is a fine upgrade for composers using Logic, but I doubt it will make big inroads into the Pro Tools market.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Three new plugins, two of which they showed when they launched Logic 6.
Hi surroundguy,

Hmm, I wonder how you do your arithmetics, but maybe you should wait until you really see/hear all the plugs:

1. Ultrabeat and Sculpture are both incredible! UB beats Battery and the likes by far (Sound Mangling and built in Step Sequencer) Sculpture is simply a virtual instrument, that produces sounds never heard before, give it a try!

2. Then there is a Guitar Amp simulation, ok, bread and butter, but good to have it...

3. Vocal transform, Pitch correction etc.. Vocal Tools, that have been painfully missing within Logic are available and they are damned good.

4. Then there's little but great sounding stuff, like Ad-Limiter (beats L2 for my taste), Linear Phase EQ and Match EQ.

5. There are also some other very helpful utilities.

Quote:

And you can offload host processing to another CPU, which Cubase has been doing for years. Nobody does it because the latency sucks. I guess it remains to be seen how well it works in Logic. Pro Tools DSP killer it ain't.
Tell you what: I have been trying to get that Cubase VST link thingy going for, I don't know how long...it was never any good.

with Logic and its Nodes it is a different dimension: I plugged in my powerbook G4, started the little node application on it (no XSKey needed) and -boom- 50 percent more powerto my Dual 1 gig G4...This part is the Pro Tools Killer: Scalability of CPUs!! No Latency at all!!! It works like a charm right away with just one ethernet cable attached.

Quote:

I don't see how buying multiple XServes is any more efficient than buying HD Cards. Right now the cheapest Xserve is only $500 cheaper than an HD Accel card. By the time you power it up in a rack on a network, it's the same price, and an Accel card is a lot quieter and more compact.
Well, don't take the Xserve as a measurement, but maybe a vanilla G5 2x2Ghz? In 6 Months these machines will cost 1500 Euros, while a HD Accell card costs 4600,- Euros over here! So you could get 3 G5 Dual 2Gigs and you'd be laughing at the pure DSP power

Another thing, do you know, that you can easily stow the Xserves or the other G4/5 nodes into any other room without any of the hassle, when you try to do the same with a Pro Tools Expansion chassis? The Apple Nodes simply need 1 Gigabit Switch and a couple of plain Ethernet cables (easily 30 meters long), that's it. Have you ever tried setting up a Pro Tools rig in another room: the Monitor DVI extensions alone are 500-1000 Euro!!!

Quote:

This is a fine upgrade for composers using Logic, but I doubt it will make big inroads into the Pro Tools market.
Well of course only time will tell, but the new feature set (including multiple format export files in one go, Global Tracks and Project handling im/Export) and finally the pricing will shurely get Apple some new Digi Customers,
Old 09-29-2004, 12:48 PM

I plugged in my powerbook G4, started the little node application on it (no XSKey needed) and -boom- 50 percent more powerto my Dual 1 gig G4...This part is the Pro Tools Killer: Scalability of CPUs!! No Latency at all!!! It works like a charm right away with just one ethernet cable attached.

so poolsidestudios are you using a version of Logic now with this feature becuase if as you say ," No Latency at all" .. well that would really be something ... but seeing that Emagic is owned by Apple maybe the two companies together have got this worked out ..
Old 09-29-2004, 12:51 PM

First off, making a network with Macs is stupid easy. Even George W. could do it. It's basically plugging in an ethernet cable from one to the other. Done. Also, I think you guys are forgetting about one nice thing about the distributed processing feature. I have an old G4 that I use for internet and other non-music stuff in my office. If I'm in the middle of a project and I need a little more juice I just have to hook it up and I'm good to go. (Running an ethernet cable into the next room takes about 30 seconds.) Also there is the possibility of keeping an old computer when you replace it with the latest greatest mac. In 2 years a Dual 2 Ghz G5 will be worth about $500. When you replace it with the Quad 4Ghz G6, you can keep the G5 for extra processing.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
[b]becuase if as you say ," No Latency at all" .. well that would really be something ... but seeing that Emagic is owned by Apple maybe the two companies together have got this worked out ..
Yep, they got it sussed!
Old 09-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Surroundguy

You are a true PT soldier...I salute you ...something like the myth of the musicians still playing tunes while the Titanic was sinking.....hope you can get to a lifeboat....

Thothprod