How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2018, 04:49 AM

Default MIDI Keyboard doesn't work in Pro Tools

[ F I X E D ]

My MIDI keyboard will not work in pro tools. I am new to PT, so I don't know what I'm meant to be doing.
Current situation: Fresh Install of Pro-Tools 12.6.3 with EastWest Instruments installed. I have simply plugged in my M-Audio M-Track 2x2M C-SERIES and my Roland A-49 Keyboard and have not played with any settings in pro tools. That's it.

What I have tried:
I have searched the forums and googled my issue, but it seems either too simple/basic for people to need to post about or the persons issue is different to mine.

I have tried following a wiki-how tutorial, however my computer crashed when I messed with the peripherals. I could have set it up wrong because the wiki-how article didn't have the same in and outputs as I and I could have put in the wrong options. It's strange because my computer never crashes. When I turned it back on, pro tools just kept popping up with errors so I trashed my preferences and pro tools worked again. I am still having the same issue. So, I'm reluctant to try that again. I have also tried following other tutorials but have gotten lost because the person uses a MAC and I use a PC so our options are different and I'm unable to keep up.

Computer model: unknown (sorry)
processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @4.00GHz
64-bit
M-Audio M-Track 2X2M C-SERIES
Pro Tools version: 12.6.3
RAM: 16.0 GB

The M-Track Box is plugged into my computer via the USB wire it came with.
I have an AT2020 mic plugged into my M-Audio Box in Input 1
I have a Roland A-49 MIDI Keyboard plugged from the keyboard output into the M-Track Box MIDI-input.
I also have the Roland A-49 USB plugged into my computer, which I assume is for power.
The power on my Roland A-49 is lit up.
The Roland A-49 works outside of pro tools.
I have the East West Instruments installed and I am trying to use my keyboard in pro tools with those.
I have a track setup in Pro-Tools which is STEREO->INSTRUMENTAL->SAMPLES
I have attached an image of my pro tools setup and some of my settings.

I'm not sure what to do here as A-49 is not available.

If you need any more screen shots or information to help me, please let me know. I'm sorry if this seems like an easy fix or something I should know. Feel free to also send me any tutorials or thread links that you feel are appropriate for me. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Lue; 09-15-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: problem was solved. not sure how to close thread.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:31 AM

Default Re: MIDI Keyboard doesn't work in Pro Tools

I downloaded the manual for the A49 and even for someone like me it's a bit confusing as Roland doesn't explicitly say whether you need to have both the 5 pin round MIDI connector and the USB connector hooked up at the same time. Most manuals will say that the USB connection is both for power and MIDI. Let's assume that is the case here which means do NOT connect the 5 pin MIDI output to anything. I say that going by the fact Roland says to connect that to a MIDI sound module. That means connect only the USB port to your computer. But do that only after you've installed the driver according to the manual.

BTW that article you linked to is for a Mac and you're on Windows and the instructions for each machine are different. Even so you have no need to follow anything like that article; it's if someone wants to use a keyboard that has multiple controls on it as a controller in PT and not just to play in MIDI notes. Which is all you can do with the A49. So there's nothing to set up in PT's preferences.

Once you have the A49 setup I'd suggest getting the free utility known as MIDI-OX. Install and run that and it will at least tell you the keyboard is transmitting MIDI messages to your computer.

Assuming this is all working correctly fire up PT and EW Play and call up any instrument on a PT Instrument track. Make sure the keyboard and Play are looking at the same MIDI channel/port. Play some notes and see what happens.

For further help I'd suggest looking through the PT user's guide (aka The Manual) and any documentation you get from EW (East West).

Almost forgot:
Make sure you turn off all power saving measures in Windows Control Panel for the USB ports. Even on a desktop computer they are set by default to turn off after a while.

Try what I wrote and let us know what worked and what didn't.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:40 AM

... I feel really stupid but apparently I needed to press the red button on the track to hear anything.
so, i think its fixed now.

im sorry
Old 09-13-2018, 06:31 AM

Jack - isn't Midi-OX for ac only? I thought that it was but maybe I'm got it the wrong way around

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Jack - isn't Midi-OX for ac only? I thought that it was but maybe I'm got it the wrong way around
MIDI-OX is Windows only; snoize is the equivalent for a Mac

MIDI-OX was a great help when I ran a Windows system; it's a shame development stopped many years ago. To give you an idea of how old the program is the page for it still lists a Myspace link

I swear by snoize for feretting out Mac MIDI problems.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lue View Post
... I feel really stupid but apparently I needed to press the red button on the track to hear anything.
so, i think its fixed now.

im sorry
You shouldn't have to do that. Make sure that in the PT preferences you have 'use first selected track' as the default thru instrument in the MIDI tab. Check out the stuff I wrote.

QAPLA!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You shouldn't have to do that. Make sure that in the PT preferences you have 'use first selected track' as the default thru instrument in the MIDI tab. Check out the stuff I wrote.
wow thank you. this is much easier!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:30 AM

The blank window for MIDI Studio Setup is likely the problem. Open that window(Setup>Midi>Midi Studio) and create a new "instrument". Name it whatever makes sense for you. Brand and model are option(not needed for function). The critical setting here is the Midi Input path, so Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi data. Set that for the appropriate connection that the keyboard is plugged into. Example, if it comes in via USB cable, it would be something like "Roland A49 USB[Emulated]"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 AM

I'm new to Pro Tools, coming from Ableton (Auto-Tune dragged me here - it's not available for Ableton).

I have the same problem. Using a Nektar Impact LX88 (fantastic keyboard btw.). Using both MIDI and USB, it doesn't work. Works perfectly well in Ableton.

Any suggestions?
Akai MPK249
Audio Technica M70x
Ableton, Serum, Massive
MIDINation
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymakesmusic View Post
I'm new to Pro Tools, coming from Ableton (Auto-Tune dragged me here - it's not available for Ableton).

I have the same problem. Using a Nektar Impact LX88 (fantastic keyboard btw.). Using both MIDI and USB, it doesn't work. Works perfectly well in Ableton.

Any suggestions?
A coupe of things and the first is: get the free MIDI-OX utility and run it. It will help diagnose MIDI problems between your keyboard and computer. It runs standalone. The second is when using USB MIDI make sure all USB port power savings measures are turned off in Widows Control Panel.

QAPLA!