Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 AM

Default Pops, crackles, stutters, and no sound while using Ample Guitar Plugin?

Hi there, not sure if this is the correct forum to post in or not, but.... I've been trying to use Ample Sounds AGG Guitar plugin and during quick strum patterns and soloing the sound starts to pop, crackle, stutter, then disappear altogether. This will occur intermittently while trying to play this guitar plugin in pro tools.

Some system specs:
8 Core AMD Processor @4.00 Ghz
16MB of RAM
Windows 8.1

I only have 2 other plugins being used in this pro tools session and they sound fine, even in conjunction with the Ample AGG plugin; it seems to be this particular plugin having issues.

Just curious if anyone else uses the Ample Sounds Guitar plugin and if they have experienced similar issues, and if so....what they did to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Pops, crackles, stutters, and no sound while using Ample Guitar Plugin?

Some more information that may be useful:

I've played around with different buffer sizes from the lowest to the highest, specified Pro Tools to use all 8 cores of my CPU and set the CPU threshold to 90%-- I still hear the discrepancies in sound described in the above post.

Also, Pro Tools is installed on the same Hard Drive as Windows and my sessions are also saved to this Hard Drive. I've read saving sessions to a hard drive other than your system drive could clear up issues like this. My hesitance to use a different hard drive is because A:) I don't have one B:) The sound discrepancies occur while I'm just using the Plugin in my session freely, not necessarily during recording or playing back a recorded track.

Windows Task Manager shows my CPU usage being only around 35% when the sound starts screwing up and my RAM still shows as having around 12 GB's free. Disk usage is around 3%.

Hope this info will help narrow down the troubleshooting ideas.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Pops, crackles, stutters, and no sound while using Ample Guitar Plugin?

There is a good chance your problem is related to using the same hard drive for the operating system and audio. If you are serious about recording using Pro Tools, you should invest in a second drive meeting the specifications recommended by Avid. Also for playback and mixing, set a large buffer size and set the number of cores used by PT to one less than the maximum. That way, Windows and other active processes will have adequate resources to run properly.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:58 PM

I think you're probably right. I adjusted the sample rate of a new session and that seems to have toned down the sound discrepancies a bit. I'll have to invest in a 2nd internal hard drive soon.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 AM

Make sure you get a drive with at least 7,200 rpm. Some here on the forum have recommended Western Digital "Black" drives. Or a qualified Solid State Drive is also approved by Avid as an audio drive.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.