Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Request for info: Mbox/Mbox2 noise bursts

Hey I'm having a problem with white noise as well. I've tried several diff. mics so I knew that wasn't the problem and I decided to check on this site and found this post. My problem is a constant one. Every time I record enable a track and record vocals the white noise is there and is very prominent in the mix. I mainly do hip hop so I have 1 stereo track with the beat mixed down already and maybe 5-6 mono tracks of vocals. Even after I mixdown you can hear the white noise in the mix. I've tried turning the mic gain down etc even that records white noise. So here's what I'm working with. Hopefully theres a solution for this.

Machine Model- iMac 5.1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.16 gHz processor speed
1 GB of memory
OS Version 10.4.7
Pro Tools LE 7.1
MBox 2

I've tried to connect it to every usb port on the iMac and it does it in every port. I've only had the mbox since september and just hooked it up in December and it worked fine the first 3 or 4 times I used it. Then all of the sudden one day the white noise started whenever I would record enable the tracks. Any help would be appreciated please I can't take it anymore lol. Email me if this is a diff. problem than what is discussed in this post. Thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Avid

Default Re: Request for info: Mbox/Mbox2 noise bursts

[posts moved into a new thread from the original Mbox Noise Burst thread]

Quote:
Every time I record enable a track and record vocals the white noise is there and is very prominent in the mix.
If you are getting noise mixed in with your audio, it could be a gain staging issue (trying to make up for a low level source) or hardware failure (the Mbox 2 or possibly a bad cable).

What is the level of the noise? Does it change if you adjust the Mbox 2's Input knobs?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Request for info: Mbox/Mbox2 noise bursts

Quote:
Quote:
Every time I record enable a track and record vocals the white noise is there and is very prominent in the mix.
Sounds like a different problem - the v21 firmware is for the original Mbox, and addresses very loud noise bursts.

If you are getting noise mixed in with your audio, it could be a gain staging issue (trying to make up for a low level source) or hardware failure (the Mbox 2 or possibly a bad cable).

What is the level of the noise? Does it change if you adjust the Mbox 2's Input knobs?

I tried new mic cables and even tried a different microphone. I'm going to get a new usb cord right now to check that out because even when I turn the mic gain all the way down and just record nothing the white noise is still there at the same level. It doesn't overpower the vocals but you can hear it when the drums/bass drop out of the song and a piano or some instrument is just playing solo or if the vocals are solo. The first couple of times I used it there was no noise and when I play back those tracks they are fine you can't hear it. If the new usb cable doesn't do the trick is there anything else I should try since i tried a new mic cable and everything? If it is a hardward failure and something is wrong with the MBox how do I go about replacing it I only bought it in September and still have the receipt but Guitar Center will not take it back since its past their 14 day policy. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Avid

Default Re: noisy audio recording

Quote:
I tried new mic cables and even tried a different microphone. I'm going to get a new usb cord right now to check that out because even when I turn the mic gain all the way down and just record nothing the white noise is still there at the same level. It doesn't overpower the vocals but you can hear it when the drums/bass drop out of the song and a piano or some instrument is just playing solo or if the vocals are solo. The first couple of times I used it there was no noise and when I play back those tracks they are fine you can't hear it. If the new usb cable doesn't do the trick is there anything else I should try since i tried a new mic cable and everything? If it is a hardward failure and something is wrong with the MBox how do I go about replacing it I only bought it in September and still have the receipt but Guitar Center will not take it back since its past their 14 day policy. Thanks for your help.
Are you monitoring through headphones or through monitors? Do the headphones or monitors give you different amounts of noise?

Do you have another source to plug into the Mbox 2? It would help to try the Line Inputs, as well as a Digital source if possible.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:05 PM

I am monitoring thru monitors but also have headphones for recording purposes. The amount of noise is the same. I just tried a new usb cable and that didn't help. I also tried plugging my computer into different outlets around the house. I've tried another mic but thats it. Other than that I don't have any other sources to plug into the inputs. I'm mainly just doing vocals for hip-hop with the music already mixed and just importing that as a stereo track. What do you mean by digital source?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:05 PM

by line inputs do you mean I should pick up a mic cable thats xlr to 1/4 and plug the 1/4 inch into the line or the di inputs? Do you want me to post up a mixed track or something so you can hear exactly what I'm talking about I could do that after work tomorrow?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM

A guy I work with is going to let me borrow an outboard compressor or reverb and some 1/4 inch cables to try that out.....If those don't work where do I go from there?