Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 07-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Default Will I notice the improvement if I crossgrade from M-Powered 8 to ProTools 9?

First, the setup:

8 Core Mac Pro running 10.6.5
18 gigs of RAM
2 x ProFire 2626
M-Powered 8

Currently, this setup has been ok. Not great, just ok. About once a day It'll stop playback and give the "increase HW/Buffer" message. Most of the time the system seems a little sketchy on boot up (especially since I have to have the interfaces on before I turn the computer on). A few times the computer has stalled out on boot up.

With such an excellent computer I would think that it would run essentially without flaws however this is not the case. I can't shake the feeling that M-Powered is dragging the system down.

Will I notice a general increase in quality, in addition to the other features, if I crossgrade to ProTools 9?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Will I notice the improvement if I crossgrade from M-Powered 8 to ProTools 9?

The Profire 2626 drivers were just updated on July 11 so at the very least you'd have some newer drivers to work with. They may even work with your current version (not sure) so you could potentially try that before upgrading to PT9 to see if it helps. (http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...drivers&f=1173)

Will it actually solve your problems? Can't say. Some pretty nice feature upgrades in PT9 compares to MP8 though, I doubt you'd be in any worse shape than you currently are after upgrading, but don't hold me to that.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Will I notice the improvement if I crossgrade from M-Powered 8 to ProTools 9?

Those driver updates look worthwhile no doubt. Would I have to update my OS to 10.6.7 in order to make them work?

Also, PT 9 is 32 bit as well, correct?