Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-30-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Mbox and Digi Core Audio driver causing freezes

I've been having an intermittent problem with the mbox that recently got quite bad and now seems to happen all the time. I boot the mac with the Mbox plugged in, and it lights up happily. I can switch from Mic/Line/Instrument, switch mono on and off, switch phantom power on and off and all seems dandy. When I start Pro Tools or the Core Audio driver, the software simply freezes and hangs straight away. It doesn't stop the computer doing stuff, I can still run lots of programs and things on top, but no Pro Tools and no audio out the M-Box from Core Audio.

The worrying bit is that the Core Audio Driver/Pro Tools (whichever I'm trying to run) refuses to force quit, even when I shut down the computer and I have to do that thing where you hold down the power button until it shuts itself off which canh't be healthy - especially as Pro Tools doesn't let you dismount external drives if it's running.

My system details:
1.5 Ghz Powerbook G4 running OS 10.3.6
512 MB of RAM
2 Firewire drives (1 on the 400 bus and one of the 800 bus) but I've tried disconnecting them and the problem still occurs.

I normally also have an MT4, iLok and Logic dongle on a UBS hub (the Mbox has full use of the other USB port on the powerbook) and I've tried disconnecting everything but the Mbox and the problem still occurs.

Any hints would be welcome.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 11-30-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Mbox and Digi Core Audio driver causing freezes

I run the exact same laptop with an mbox. i have not upgraded to 6.4 yet. although i have only had it a week i came accross a problem where pro tools froze while recording.

i shut off wireless airport, bluetooth, and battery calculator. it hasnt hapened since. im not sure if it is related but you might want to try
Old 12-11-2004, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Mbox and Digi Core Audio driver causing freeze

I tried that and it didn't seem to work... I'm worried now because around the time it went wrong I had been using other people's equipment on my Mac (a MOTU 896 HD and a Tascam USB hardware controller) and I'm worried there may be a driver conflict or something. It sounds as if the Mbox isn't getting adequate power... I may end up phoning Digi at this point. I really want Pro Tools back!
Old 12-11-2004, 09:57 AM

1. Uninstall.
2. Restart
3. Remove any trace of Digidesign components (search for it).
4. Restart
5. Reinstall.
6. Restart.
7. Repair Premission.\
8. Restart.

Check for changes. sometimes reinstalling just "fix" it.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:48 PM

I seem to have sorted it. Did an archive and install from some borrowed system disks, then took it back up to 10.3.6 with a combo update, completely wiped PTLE then reinstalled it. Working well now.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:54 PM

since i download digi core audio manager 6.5.2,
a lot of problems i used to have with core stop.