Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgy View Post
when the project is not music and 55 minutes long, try explaining to the client why he is being billed for sitting around for almost an hour.
Whenever I'm working with a long spoken word project, I'll use the Audio Suite Duplicate function to create one long contiguous file that I'll then open in Sound Forge and "Save As" a 16 bit, 44.1k stereo file. I can't tell you how many hours I've saved with this work around!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:42 PM

+1 for wanting FTRT BTD

I think JFreak hit it on the head though. TDM doesn't work with faster than real time features and thus LE won't either unless things change drastically throughout Pro Tools and Pro Tools starts buffering to RAM to do all it's processing.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN - NOT REALLY!

It simple - the reason for a real time bounce is becuase the program is aimed at the prffesional market.

In the proffesional market, outboard gear is very common.

You and I are actually pretty lucky to be using Pro Tools, as you know, for many years it was aimed at businesses, not hobbyist's, or project enthusiasts.

IMO if people want a bounce in 1 second, may as well use Cubase etc. whereas, the chances are your bouncing music, and therefore whats the beef, its only gonna be 3,4,5,6 minutes maximum, the the amount of times I have actually recognized a mistake in this period of time is high....so god bless real time bounces I guess....
Old 09-14-2008, 05:50 AM

Fast Bounce should be an option in a pro application like this. Sometimes a fast mix is needed for preview. There is no reason to wait for a 30 min bounce when there is no outboard used and all you want is to mixdown 2 tracks. Pro Tools can do non-realtime proccessing with Digisuite effects, but can´t do mixdown of few tracks if not in realtime. If this can´t be done via TDM cards, mixdown should be avalaible as Digisuite, reading volume/pan automations of the tracks to mix them.

It´s good to check for errors during the bounce, but Pro Tools should be able to do a fast "render" without the risk of making errors -other software can do it. If error has been made by operator there is only one way to check it.

I guess it´s a question of time and when fast bounce becomes part of the Pro Tools features we will see this long-waited feature as an advantage.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN - NOT REALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barismanco123 View Post
IMO if people want a bounce in 1 second, may as well use Cubase etc.
and don't forget Logic, Nuendo, Ableton etc. etc. etc.
also, it used to part of pro tools options, it was taken away... and we know why.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 PM

I've been using PT since 1996, but I'm considering switching to Logic for this single feature alone. There are many good reasons to use FTRTB.
RAM w/PT-LE 8.0
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 AM

While doing a realtime bounce, I just had a client say to me...
"I'm not paying for this time. MY avid can mix down at :30 program in less than a minute. Hell, even my FCP system can do that." It was almost as if he didn't believe me that something so ridiculous would be true in a professional system. So, yeah faster than real time is now a requirement.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15yearsonptools View Post
While doing a realtime bounce, I just had a client say to me...
"I'm not paying for this time. MY avid can mix down at :30 program in less than a minute. Hell, even my FCP system can do that." It was almost as if he didn't believe me that something so ridiculous would be true in a professional system. So, yeah faster than real time is now a requirement.
Tell him that he needs to pay you and that you're now going to bounce to disk and have it do the calculations after the bounce. that's the better way anyway and he will get a much better product. If he doesn't like it then you don't need his trouble.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:03 AM

Lack of realtime export caught me out the other day. I'm a new PT user, and am picking it up purely as another string for my bow so to speak.

Anyhoo, I was given a 45 min minidisc to copy over and thought I'd give PT a whirl and use some some noise plug ins I have to tidy up the recording.

Got the result I wanted, then went to find the export to disc button.. only to find it's not realtime and there's no way around that. Pretty disappointing, especially having just there for 45 mins in the first place recording it in!

I appreciate PT isn't really the ideal tool for this particular scenario but FTRT export is a really basic feature which should be added. I feel for those of you using PT for video and the like where projects can be a couple of hours long!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 04:09 PM

Another problem is this bouncing thing is not just a matter of taking up precious time for a final mix.....if one is on LE and has lots of VI tracks, and wants to commit those to disc then you have to sit there for EACH instrument you want to "freeze" to audio. Unbelievable amounts of time can be wasted. Logic and Cubase are amazing time savers here, with Cubase even allowing the option to import to the timeline the exported bounce.

TH