Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-17-2008, 11:51 AM

Default do you think....

I compose music for TV currently on a G5 Dual 2.5, 6 MB ram, PT HD 3.

This rig is just barely able to do what I need to do. Lots of Virtual Instruments, Ivory, Eleven, Reason, etc.. I mainly run out of CPU.. Have yet to run out of DSP. So I'm thinking that I need mainly CPU power, not so much the DSP.

I want to set up a second system based around a 002 that I have laying around. My average session on my PT HD rig has 6 or 8 Instrument tracks rewired from Reason, 4 to 6 instances of Eleven, 2 reverbs as well as 16 channels of audio. Is it reasonable to think that I might be able to pull this off with an Imac:2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4GB memory?

Or do you think that I need to go with a new MAC pro. I will not buy a PC so please don't suggest one of those.
I look forward to your response.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Default Re: do you think....

Hmm.. I'm a pro-Tools user to the core, but if you're doing little audio, I'd also check out Logic, as I've seen 15 virtual instruments run on a MacBook Pro.

If you're going to remain in your currently described production environment, I'd really strongly recommend, a Mac Pro - you're really going to need those extra Cores.

The iMacs are FANTASTIC machines, I've got a few 002 setups on iMacs as well as an HD Accel III and track counts (With music production toolkit) and Plugin counts are really impressive. I haven't "Hit the CPU limitation Wall" of my iMac's with MY work Flow...

But playing around, loading V instruments, rewiring Reason, I've found that wall fairly quick - I really think, if you're making the investment, you might as well go all the way, with a Mac Pro

Just my 2c

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM

thanks,
I have checked out Logic, and indeed it is pretty amazing. However, I need to stay with PT as, I have the HD 3 rig at work and this new system would be at home, I'll need to be able have projects move from one place to the other. So you think the 8 core would be required to pull this off on an LE system?

Thanks again, your input is helpful

Aaron
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
4 to 6 instances of Eleven
Eleven is a HUGE resource hog (probably why it sounds so good)

You might want to consider printing some of your guitar tracks and making Eleven inactive on the source tracks.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
...Lots of Virtual Instruments, Ivory, Eleven, Reason, etc.. I mainly run out of CPU... I will not buy a PC so please don't suggest one of those.
You need the most powerful CPU. The Intel Quads running LE are getting approximately 300 Dverbs (check THIS post.) What is the highest Mac/LE Dverb count?
Info/Services link
Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Is it reasonable to think that I might be able to pull this off with an Imac:2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4GB memory?
I'd say sure. I have an iMac 2.16 with 3G. I compose music for a variety of venues so having a host of available sounds for creativity and a system to handle it all is essential to my workflow.

My composing template: Strike, Structure Free x2, Stylus RMX, Ivory, Velvet, Sonic Synth, Philharmonic, Sample Moog, Hybrid x2, Xpand x 2, and Virtual Guitarist Rewire. This is a huge composing template; if a piano part is critical I will disable some tracks and go to 128 H/W. Overall there are no problems.

So I can imagine the 2.8 with 4G's can do a lot more. Mac Pro is cool if you need the expandability but Core 2 is still really fast and can handle a lot.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM

I'd go back to tape before I ever work on a PC. And, Macs have Intel chips these days.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I'd go back to tape before I ever work on a PC.
I'm not trying to compare Mac vs PC as much as to examine the highest Dverb counts for an LE rig to date. What is the current highest Dverb count for Mac/LE?
Info/Services link